Best Quality Settings for MTS Files

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
robsandbach

Best Quality Settings for MTS Files

Post by robsandbach »

Hello all,

I appreciate everyone here gives their time free of charge, and I'd like to thank in advance anyone who's taking the time top try and help me out.

Objective : Get Hi definition AVCHD encoded MTS files into iMovie 09 with the highest quality possible.

Details : iMovie will not recognise the camera - I only have MTS files. I need to convert them into something iMovie can play with and import directly.

Problem : I seem to have "interlacing" issues when using most software. VoltaicHD in particular has given me this problem. Using handbrakes "slower" deinterlacing option gives better results.

Can anyone advise on either:

a) An alternative piece of software if Handbrake is not applicable in this instance

or

b) The best settings to maintain maximum quality and resolution when importing into iMovie.

The source material is at 1440x900 and was recorded on a Panasonic SD5 - I'm more than happy to take an experts advise on what settings are best for the highest quality which will actually be noticable by the human eye.

Thank you so much for any help or clarification you can offer.

Rob
robsandbach

Re: Best Quality Settings for MTS Files

Post by robsandbach »

With the help of a licensed FCP user / vid expert I think I've worked out a pipeline which may be appropriate:

Use VoltaicHD to produce the interlaced AIC MOVs

Use Final Cut Pro to import these MOVs and deinterlace them, exporting back out as AIC MOVs

Drop these Movs into iMovie ready to do all my basic editing.

Is this a better process than using HB, even with it's best settings?
belloq
Bright Spark User

Post by belloq »

Did you read the Wiki article on iMovie/FCP/FCE? There's one there.
betzelel

Post by betzelel »

i too am having the same problem. i am using FCP on leopard PPC and Intel. you would think that camcorder developers would produce a codec driver so their hardware would be supported by major video editing suites. or that apple would develop some kind of driver for quick time to recognize it. i know that VLC seems to recognize the video but it takes a LOOONNNGGG time to export from that prog and it can be a pain in the butt if you don't know the right settings.

does any one know of a 3rd party plug in for quick time or FPC that will alow the software to decode or recognize the MTS files?
thanks