Settings for HDTV Captures?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Northy
Enlightened

Settings for HDTV Captures?

Post by Northy »

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I was wondering what people use as settings for 720p/1080i captures? as I have tried a couple of encodes (720p captures of Cars Toons) but it came out all jerky and didn't really look good in general (I am trying to make it at SD resolution with 2677 kbps, maybe I should have it at least in the higher 3000 kbps but with 720p resolution?).

So far I have got:
Video Codec: H.264.
Fps: Same as source (59.940 fps).
2 Pass with Turbo first pass.
Audio: 384 Kbps AAC (CoreAudio) and passthrough AC3.
Decomb: Default.
Advanced:

Code: Select all

level=51:me=uhm:ref=4:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:b-pyramid=1:b-adapt=2:me=umh:subq=9:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:trellis=2:deblock=-3,-3
I used Deblock -3,-3 because that is what I was told was best for Animations, it will change to -2,-2 for not animations, other than "level=51:me=uhm:ref=4" the rest is from the High Quality preset.

I am not aiming for this to work on TV or anything, just plex so I am open to any settings.

Thanks for any settings you have that may make it better for encoding from HDTV Captures :D

Northy
belloq
Bright Spark User

Re: Settings for HDTV Captures?

Post by belloq »

You almost definitely need to detelecine and leave framerate set to source. I do HTDV encodes (not animations) from 1080i and 720p every week, and for the 1080i stuff, you need detelecine. It will be your friend. I do not decomb nor detelecine any 720p source because, if it is truly 720p, there are no interlaced frames to deal with. Also, for 720p, I notice that the only way most shows get to 59.94fps, is to double-up all frames. Stepping through the source by frame will tell you if this is the case for your source. In that case, I force the fps down to 29.97 and that gives you a much better file size. I stopped using 2-pass a while ago, and encode most of my stuff around RF 21.00 - 21.50. This typically gets me with a 1-hour program (42-44min after commercials are snipped out) weighing in at a respectable 1.35-1.5GB.
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Right so detelecine and force framerate down to 29.97 fps, would it not go out of sync though if the framerate is changed?

Edit: Detelecine seems to have done much better than what I had before, and I think the forcing of the framerate to 29.97 fps also helped, but in part's it is still jerky :( but not by as much now :D
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Anyone else have any other suggestions? I am getting blur with TV Preset that is in the Trac, and I can't seem to find the perfect settings to 720p HDTV Captures :(