New to it all

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Handbrake Harry

New to it all

Post by Handbrake Harry »

Sounds really stupid, I know, but where can I find out how to use handbrake. I don't understand what it all means on the screen. There doesn't seem to be an explanation anywhere. What I am looking for is getting the best copy. Space on my hard drive is not a problem. I have about 700 dvd's to rip.
Also at the moment, I am ripping the dvd's into my Movies folder and then dragging and dropping into iTunes. Is that correct?
Many thanks to all who answer....
tubbyman

Post by tubbyman »

These forums are the best docs that I have found to give me insights into how to use handbrake. I recently endeavored on a project similar in scale and purpose to yours, and I have learned 2 very important things on this forum thus far:

1) Don't use deinterlacing unless you are targeting video for a mobile device, or the video looks very bad without deinterlacing. Handbrake's deinterlacing discards every other line in videos, resulting in 240 lines of res, as opposed to native 480.

2) The "quality" slider may behave differently than you expect, if you are used to CS2/After Effects/FCP/Logic/QT quality sliders. Save yourself some time and find out what it does before you use it.

"Getting the best copy" is subjective, and highly dependent on your target device. I'd spend some time with the search tab on this forum and look for posts about your device.

Having said all of that, my device is a mac mini running front row, and I have had the best luck so far with 2-pass mp4 with 2600k H264 video bitrate/and 256k AAC audio bitrate, but I am still trying out settings.
tubbyman

Post by tubbyman »

Also, there is a very useful sticky at the top of this general section for user contributed best setting for devices.
Handbrake Harry

Thanks for the reply. I am using a New Mac Pro Quad 2.66, if that is any help. I have jus tried ripping Lawnmower Man that I recorded from the TV on to a DVD. It ripped about 10 seconds then said DONE. Not quite sure what is going on...
Handbrake Harry

Sorry, what do you mean "sticky"...
Many thanks
sdm
Bright Spark User

Post by sdm »

tubbyman, I believe your description of deinterlacing is incorrect/misleading. Unfortunately I don't have time to give a better description now.

anyone?

--sdm.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

I'd have said that was a reasonable view of deinterlacing - only use it when absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, most TV shows will be interlaced, needing the use of deinterlacing, but it really does destroy the picture.
sdm
Bright Spark User

Post by sdm »

I stand corrected - but am surprised!
I never thought Handbrake would use the 'discard' method of deinterlacing.
I posted more about my surprise here:
http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6064#6064

Side note: I've found that most recent (2001+) TV shows on DVD are shot using ntsc film standard - 23.98 progressive fps and use a pulldown telecline to achieve ntsc 29.97 interlaced fps.

So it stands: since handbrake produces progressive output, interlaced material should be deinterlaced but will result in half the verical resolution.
(or suffer a combing effect)

-sdm.
baggss

Re: Sticky

Post by baggss »

Handbrake Harry wrote:Sorry, what do you mean "sticky"...
Many thanks
Look at the top of the forums page. There will be topics there with the word "Sticky" to the left of them. Those are stickies.