total newbie question

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
nona

total newbie question

Post by nona »

i'm currently using handbrake for the first time... can i just ask... whats the difference between the mpeg-4 video and the AVC h.246 output?
which should i choose when converting videos for my ipod video?

thanks to whoever can help! :D
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

H.264 is a more efficient codec - you can get the same visual quality with lower bitrates/less disk usage. The disadvantage is that it is much slower to encode. It's a tradeoff - if you want fast rips, use MPEG-4 at higher bitrates (max 2500 for iPod). If you want to optimize disk usage, use H.264 with lower bitrates (max 1500 for iPod).

Rodney
i'mlost

what?

Post by i'mlost »

Sorry, I'm a newbie too and I don't understand what your post means. "lower bitrates/less disk usage" in particular and "max 1500 for iPod". I am asking a dumb question, I know but I'm new to IPOD and new to Handbrake. I've just downloaded it, and I don't even know what to do with it. It's all very overwhelming.... :shock:
cbud
Bright Spark User

Re: what?

Post by cbud »

i'mlost wrote:Sorry, I'm a newbie too and I don't understand what your post means. "lower bitrates/less disk usage" in particular and "max 1500 for iPod". I am asking a dumb question, I know but I'm new to IPOD and new to Handbrake. I've just downloaded it, and I don't even know what to do with it. It's all very overwhelming.... :shock:
Encoding your DVDs to MP4s is an overwhellming task. In fact, it can become a part time job if you have an ass load of videos.

A file that is encoded with h.264 at 1500 kbs will look better than one with MPEG4 at 1500 kbs. H.264 is newer, better, and requires more CPU. So, in theory you could encode with H.264 at say 1000 kbs and it will look as good as the MPEG4 at 1500 kbs, hence, you save disk space. But h.264 takes longer to encode.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

[edit] this is to i'mlost [/edit]

If you need a simple explanation about HandBrake:

Movies on DVD take up a massive amount of space - DVDs are ~9GB, and the movie will take up a good proportion of that space. If you were to copy those movies to your computer, they'd soon fill up all the space.

HandBrake offers a way to convert those movies into a much smaller file, which is highly portable and can be played on many devices such as iPods, PS3s, etc, if you use the correct settings. It does this by using much more efficient codecs (ways of describing the video) than are used on DVDs. A typical movie compressed with HandBrake can look almost indistinguishable from the original at only around 15% of the file size.

Think of it as like using iTunes to rip music from a CD. It takes much longer though :wink:

To learn more, a good place to start is the as-yet-incomplete, but still very well-written, HandBrake Guide.
Last edited by hawkman on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Follow the link of your choice from my signature to encode for your iPod.