Remove Subtitles

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
shapper

Remove Subtitles

Post by shapper »

Hello,

I am encoding a movie from a VIDEO_TS folder and it has 8 subtitles languages.
Can I encode it keeping only one of them? How can I do this?

Thank You,
Miguel
Rodeo
HandBrake Team

Re: Remove Subtitles

Post by Rodeo »

shapper wrote:Hello,

I am encoding a movie from a VIDEO_TS folder and it has 8 subtitles languages.
Can I encode it keeping only one of them?
Yes. Actually, you can only encode one subtitle anyway: HandBrake doesn't do soft subtitles, so whichever subtitle you select will always be displayed as it will be encoded in the video.
shapper wrote:How can I do this?
In HandBrake, select the Audio & Subtitles tab, and select the subtitle track you want. It's as simple as that.

Often, your DVD may have several subtitles for the same language, so you might be unsure of which subtitle to select; in this case, you may need to try encoding with each subtitle track to see which one is the one you want (you only need to encode a relevant chapter, not the whole movie).
shapper

Re: Remove Subtitles

Post by shapper »

Rodeo wrote: Yes. Actually, you can only encode one subtitle anyway: HandBrake doesn't do soft subtitles, so whichever subtitle you select will always be displayed as it will be encoded in the video.
This is strange because I encoded a movie that had 6 languages.
I selected English in the tab you said and when I went to see the movie I still had all the subtitles there and I could select all of them.
I used MKV with H.264.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Miguel