iPhone can handel HD?!?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
nathug
Bright Spark User

iPhone can handel HD?!?

Post by nathug »

Gizmodo today did an artical about Apple changinging their iPhone AV cables to ones that can handel HD from the iPhones. Check it out, as there is also another link in there about the iPhone running 1080p.

http://gizmodo.com/5045466/the-iphone-h ... -just-fine

Nate
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Re: iPhone can handel HD?!?

Post by Da Man »

I read that. I've been wondering about this quite awhile. The spec is rumored (and I stress rumored) to be 720p or 1080i, not p, as this would then fall in line with the max that the iTunes store currently doles out.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Sorry, folks, but I'm calling [Censored] on this one. There is absolutely no chance of this being true, nor would I really wish otherwise.

Rodney
kiran_mk2
Novice

Post by kiran_mk2 »

If the reports of the new iphone using the rumoured new cpus is true, then there's no reason this year's iphone couldn't support higher resolutions than the AppleTV.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

All signs have been pointing to this for quite awhile. The new graphics chip Apple is slated to replace the current unit with is not only faster by default, but scalable in number of chips used, requires no software OSchanges (all threading done on IC hardware level), and the battery drain, as several companies who are interested in using this chip as well have said, is ridiculously low for what it's capabilities are.

It will be interesting to see, but as I have been guessing for awhile, I think Apple is trying to get themselves as heavily invested as possible in the "your media, anywhere you want" schtick, that this is a logical next step. Besides, unlike locking up the music side of things, Apple can't just walk into the fight ring on this one and expect to dominate it, and I think they know this. They're going to have to give everyone a damn good reason to make Apple their preferred movie source before the MPAA and studios will bend over and grab their ankles like the RIAA finally did.

Besides, imagine the wow factor and free advertising you'd get when someone comes over to your house, whips out his iPhone and HDMI to iphone cable, hooks it up to your TV, and shows you the videos he made of your camping trip, or downloads and plays everyone the latest HD movie offering.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Two things about my last post, though -

-This is definitely reserved for the 'rumored' iphone 3.0 hardware revision, not the software update in June

-I already have the patch cable that takes the video out on the iphone/ipod and displays it via composite and stereo right/left onto a television, and it is nice.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Da Man wrote:-I already have the patch cable that takes the video out on the iphone/ipod and displays it via composite and stereo right/left onto a television, and it is nice.
And this matters because? Composite doesn't carry HD.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

I'm well aware of the output capabilities of composite. It matters because Apple is already providing a pathway to "take your media anywhere, anytime". The logical next direction would be to ensure an HD version that can connect to an HD set, output at an HD level (and if you hadn't noticed, the iTunes store conveniently sells 720p movies); seeing as how the rest of the audio/visual industry is moving at a rapid pace in that very direction. Nothing to get worked up about. Apple has always proven one thing above all else, though - "We'll tell you what's next when we tell you what's next". This thread is more of a commentary on several happenings (and rumors) in the iPhone ecosystem.

Besides, it would be nice to have this option, and it's technically feasible.