Anamorphic working with QT

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
mrmugno
Novice

Anamorphic working with QT

Post by mrmugno »

I was under the impression that encoding with anamorphic prevents the file from working with QT.

However, I did so with The Godfather and it worked on my MBP with QT Pro.

Please share thoughts on this. Still a bit confused on when anamorphic should (not) be used (It just maximizes picture output without distortion?)
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

The latest svn-compiled version of HandBrake produces QuickTime-friendly anamorphic output, as will the next public beta.

Rodney
Fastfwd

Post by Fastfwd »

rhester wrote:The latest svn-compiled version of HandBrake produces QuickTime-friendly anamorphic output, as will the next public beta.

Rodney
Does this mean it's front row friendly too? If so how do I know when to use anamorphic and when not to use it? Is there a FAQ or sticky on this somewhere?

Thanks.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

i have not yet found a reason to not use anamorphic, i am using it on every single one of my encodes.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Fastfwd wrote:Does this mean it's front row friendly too?
I believe so, yes.
Fastfwd wrote:If so how do I know when to use anamorphic and when not to use it? Is there a FAQ or sticky on this somewhere?
There is detailed information at http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/AnamorphicGuide, but in general, it is always safe to use (though only of benefit on widescreen anamorphic-encoded DVDs).

Rodney
Fastfwd

Post by Fastfwd »

"When not to use Anamorphic PAR ¶

2. When you want to watch your movies on an iPod "

oups. no thanks then. I want to keep only one set of files that work on my mac mini and ipod.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Oh, right - sorry, I forgot about that. You called out Front Row, but the iPod definitely doesn't understand anamorphic.

Rodney
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Anamorphic working with QT

Post by jbrjake »

mrmugno wrote:I was under the impression that encoding with anamorphic prevents the file from working with QT.
Maybe if you read documentation instead of whining that it was too long, you wouldn't suffer under these false impressions, and we wouldn't have to waste our time correcting them.
I, at the top of the guide, wrote:The video will still play, have no fear of that, but it will appear distorted—vertically stretched.
mrmugno
Novice

Post by mrmugno »

Hey! I was told by one of you guys no longer than 2 days ago that it does not work with QT or iTV.

Also, the anamorphic encoded videos look great (not stretched) on my 32" wide screen. So when I read something that does match up with my experience, I question the validity.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

mrmugno wrote:Hey! I was told by one of you guys no longer than 2 days ago that it does not work with QT or iTV.
Your reading comprehension sucks.
I, the other day, wrote:Anything encoded with 0.8.0b1 in anamorphic mode will not display properly in QuickTime.
And since you forbade us to give you any detailed or technical information, I didn't really have many options when you replied asking "anamorphic is currently not working with Quicktime" besides saying "exactly." I could only assume that by "not working" you meant what I had said *just two posts above*--that it doesn't display properly.

If your widescreen tv horizontally stretches the vertically distorted content, that's all in your playback device, not quicktime.
mrmugno
Novice

Post by mrmugno »

I apologize - "not working" meant not playing in QT from my perspective. I still have not gotten the hang of being objective and very precise in my explanations and will do so in depth for future posts.

As it is, computers don't make mistakes, people (I) do.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Fastfwd wrote:"When not to use Anamorphic PAR ¶

2. When you want to watch your movies on an iPod "

oups. no thanks then. I want to keep only one set of files that work on my mac mini and ipod.
I'm with you on this one......