I'm a Novice

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
humble

I'm a Novice

Post by humble »

Help, I'm a novice with handbrake, have version 9.3, run it on a Mac, have been using the apple "universal" setting to encode dvd's for playback on my iphone and tv. My goal is to be able to use my iphone as a portable dvd player allowing me to playback high quality video on a larger tv screen or simply on my iphone. When i use the "universal" setting the playback quality on tv is mediocre.
Any suggestions to maximize playback for both tv and iphone from the same file (file size is not important)?

Thanks!
rhester
Veteran User

Re: I'm a Novice

Post by rhester »

If you play back Universal on your Mac, does it look OK? It's entirely possible that the 'fault', as it were, lies with the cable, your TV, or perhaps you just don't like the interlaced output that comes out of the iPhone/iPod Touch (which is what I am assuming you are using - the Classic and Nano support 480p which looks much better on LCD).

Bear in mind, however, that none of these devices do any sort of upscaling, so if you are expecting HD-looking output on a 1080p television coming from a 480i playback device like the iPod Touch, you will be disappointed.

None of this is in any way related to HandBrake.

Rodney
humble

Post by humble »

Thanks, Rodney!
When playing back these files on my 20" imac they still look a bit grainy....and i am storing these on the latest iphone......is there a better set of custom video settings besides "universal" that i should be using to maximize video quality on an lcd tv?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

No, Universal is about as good as it gets - you can try increasing the CRF percentage, but in the end, output from the iPhone on a large LCD HDTV is going to look pretty crappy no matter what you do. The lack of progressive scan combined with SD resolution kills, unfortunately. You can try increasing the CQ percentage _slightly_ (I wouldn't raise it by more than 4% or so), but it's likely to just increase the file size without improving perceptible quality.

Rodney
humble

Post by humble »

I'll experiment with increasing "constant quality".......also, i am interested in learning more about this video lingo (bitrate, constant quality) and how it impacts my actual video/audio results.........any suggestions for a layman resource to help me get educated?
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

humble wrote:I'll experiment with increasing "constant quality".......also, i am interested in learning more about this video lingo (bitrate, constant quality) and how it impacts my actual video/audio results.........any suggestions for a layman resource to help me get educated?
Our wiki.