A 3-pass encoding?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
FeMaster

A 3-pass encoding?

Post by FeMaster »

Description of problem or question:

I tried to search for this, but didn't find anything. I've never seen this before, but my current encode is indicating that it is on "Encoding Pass 2 of 3". I always use the same encoding settings, with the exception of tweaking the actual bitrate on a per video basis. Encode is an Avg Bitrate, 2-Pass w/Turbo. The encoding has not yet completed, so I don't currently have a log file or know what the result will be.

Just curious if this Is something normal. I've never come across a 3-pass encoding before with any other videos I've re-encoded, but that could just be because I generally let them run overnight so I'm not there watching them. But out of all the ones that I have been around for, none have ever been a 3-pass encoding, despite using the same setting all the time.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Unknown

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.3.3 (2020061300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 Pro (2004)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Will add this later, if required, as the encoding has not yet completed...
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: A 3-pass encoding?

Post by Woodstock »

If you ask handbrake to figure out which subtitle track to use ("Foreign Audio Search"), there will be a pass for that.

If you are also asking for a specific bit rate to be used, there will normally be a pass to determine where "tweaks" will be needed to meet that bit rate.

I've not seen the message you say handbrake is giving, but I don't use either of the above normally.
FeMaster

Post by FeMaster »

Thanks for the reply. I almost never use the Foreign Audio Scan, but looking at the settings, it is enabled for some reason this time. Guessing it was accidental on my part, which might explain the 3 passes. I know I have used it in the past, but never noticed a 3-pass encode. It's possible I may have just not been paying attention.

I did attempt to include an image in my original post of the Queue screen, but for some reason it is not working. It is a direct link to the image, so not sure why it didn't work. If anybody is interested, the screen capture is located here: https://i.imgur.com/I2b1A0H.jpg

Still not working for direct embedding. Oh well, follow link above if interested.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Wouldn't the answer be in the log for the encode?

SC
FeMaster

Post by FeMaster »

Smithcraft wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:40 am Wouldn't the answer be in the log for the encode?
Perhaps, but I took the answer that was given and went with that. I have been making sure that Foreign Audio Scan isn't selected and have not seen another 3-pass encoding since. The log file in question has long been deleted, so I guess with will never know.