Preset: [b]Source Quality[/b]

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
BrokenHand

Preset: [b]Source Quality[/b]

Post by BrokenHand »

no doubt: HandBrake is The Best available freeware Tool for conversion (imo).

but why isn't there a preset "as/near source quality" ?!

there's presets for all kinds of handhelds or other devices. what if somebody just wants an exact conversion of a dvd with several episodes and doesn't want to watch them in iso-format. he wants to extract the episodes. it seems, no one wants to do that... everyone just wants to convert to a ps-portable or some nokia-phone, that he found in the garage...

i've switched through presets and not a single preset keeps all 3 of the audio titles within the episodes. then, it doesn't tell me what the input audio quality is, so i don't know what output audio quality is the best possible without throwing extra kb in when it's not needed. how do i know? when i'm supposed to read out all information of the source with a video player, then why does it take minutes to read out source info?!?!?!
honestly?!

well, seems i'm an idiot when it comes to knowing what all the little options in video conversions do (what is deinterlace? - i don't want to know! do you need to know how rockers work in an engine, to just drive the car?).

i just want a button that says "convert to source quality and don't leave out a single sh*t that is within the source"
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Preset: [b]Source Quality[/b]

Post by rollin_eng »

Sounds like you really just want to remux your source.

Try makemkv.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Sounds like you don't want video transcoding, so HB, a video transcoder, is the wrong tool for the job.

MakeMKV will make bit-accurate copies of the source and allow you to split each episode into a separate video file.
BrokenHand

Post by BrokenHand »

thanks guys, that tool is pretty simple and just does it!
would have rather used handbrake, 'cause i could at least have the container changed to mp4, due to compatibility reasons...
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

If you need MP4 try xmedia recode, and what compatibility reasons do you have?