Ratios - Wanna fill my iPod screen with a widescreen DVD ?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
zot

Ratios - Wanna fill my iPod screen with a widescreen DVD ?

Post by zot »

Hi all, no doubt its already been asked but I've successfully converted Goodfellas but its a widescreen DVD.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so that I am able to fill my iPod screen, I have a 80Gb Video iPod.

It is a 1:78 so I used 368x208 (as I have with other DVD'S) But its just not big enough....help appreciated...ta :P
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Well, the easiest way is to change the settings on your iPod - under "video options", or something like that (it's found under Videos, anyway), is the setting to turn widescreen on or off. Turn if off and the video will be scaled up to fill the screen - but you'll lose the edges, of course.
zot

Post by zot »

Thanks but by taking widescreen off in the iPod video settings (which is how I always have it, its still widesceen as the original DVD is...hmm

Think its just a case of finding what six=ze to convert it to :wink:
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Well, yes, if you want to decimate your picture by stripping off the edges, then crop it off when encoding so that the video is in 4:3 ratio (the iPod's screen is 320x240). I can't really see why you'd want to do this when using the iPod's settings, you can give yourself the choice...?
Fastfwd

Post by Fastfwd »

zot wrote:Thanks but by taking widescreen off in the iPod video settings (which is how I always have it, its still widesceen as the original DVD is...hmm

Think its just a case of finding what six=ze to convert it to :wink:
Maybe it was converted with a software that "fills" the up and down black bars with black pixels. So the black parts are part of the image. Just a theory.
zot

Post by zot »

Thanks for the advice, just think I'll have a mess about see what I can do :wink:
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

yeah zot, is really sounds like you have the black bars encoded, did you crop them out before encoding? what did you use to encode?
zot

Post by zot »

Not sure how to crop, let alone the black bars ?

Just re-converted Godfellas at 368x240, made no difference..hmm