Constant Quality @ 100% - Lossless?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
valmaer

Constant Quality @ 100% - Lossless?

Post by valmaer »

If I encode my movies at 100% Constant Quality would they be identical to the original and lossless? Would this raise the file size or is there a better way to do this?
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

if you want lossless, why are you trying to "encode"? you should only rip to HD using a ripper such as MacTheRipper.

that is lossless.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I don't believe MPEG in itself is a lossless codec. Anyways, encoding at 100% will give you a very large file, but of excellent quality. If you are wanting to playback on an AppleTV, I would not reccomend this as the bitrate and sizes would probably be over the unit's limits.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Lossless? Yes.

Identical to the original? No.

Why? Because you won't be losslessly encoding the DVD. You will be losslessly encoding the raw video stream decoded from the DVD. Because the compression on the DVD is lossy, and x264 at 100% quality isn't, the output will be larger than the DVD itself.
Deleted User 134

Post by Deleted User 134 »

I encoded chapter 3 of the Fellowship Of The Ring at 98% and fullsize with 'anamorphic' checked - 4 minutes and 50 seconds of film came to about 1.2 gigabytes ... so that'd be around 44 gig for the entire film

Crikey.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Timmargh wrote:I encoded chapter 3 of the Fellowship Of The Ring at 98% and fullsize with 'anamorphic' checked - 4 minutes and 50 seconds of film came to about 1.2 gigabytes ... so that'd be around 44 gig for the entire film

Crikey.
Time to buy a new hard drive...
Deleted User 134

Post by Deleted User 134 »

hawkman wrote:Time to buy a new hard drive...
:D

I already have a terabyte across 3 drives but they're full of photos and music, too.