One more tiny Q about B-frames [edited]

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
defender
Novice

One more tiny Q about B-frames [edited]

Post by defender »

Initially I spoke of "P-frames." I meant "B-frames." My bad.

I fully realize all my questions are naïve; I throw myself on the mercy of you experts. Please be patient with me.

The more I try to learn, the more confused I get.

Some H.264 documentation says to use as many B-frames as possible; other documentation says that B-frames can be blurry.

From the wiki:

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_ ... #b-pyramid
"Although I/P-frames are more valued as references because of their higher quality, B-frames can also be useful. B-frames designated as references will get a quantizer halfway between P-frames and normal B-frames."
Seeing my main goal is sharpness, should I use more B-frames or less? Should I stress I- and P-frames instead?

For instance, if you use the CLI command "b-adapt=2" it recommends you use the maximum B-frames allowed (16). If you do not use the command "b-adapt=2" the documentation says you should use fewer B-frames.

Are I-frames and P-frames sharper, but are not as good for motion?

Who's right?

Any help is appreciated.

defender :shock:
Last edited by defender on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Re: One more tiny Q about P-frames????

Post by cvk_b »

Why do all your posts leak periods?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: One more tiny Q about B-frames [edited]

Post by jbrjake »

I don't know, but I'll tell you this: If he doesn't stop with it soon, he'll be banned from the forum. We all have better things to do than scroll through his padded posts.
defender
Novice

Post by defender »

jbrjake wrote:I don't know, but I'll tell you this: If he doesn't stop with it soon, he'll be banned from the forum. We all have better things to do than scroll through his padded posts.
OK. No more periods. (Such a high crime!) I had no idea they were SO viscerally offensive to people.
And as far as, "We all have better things to do than scroll through his padded posts," you have another option: don't read it.
"Scrolling?" Ouch! What a chore! I read my post and didn't have to scroll at all. With just four periods, how much strenuous scrolling did you have to do? Not very much "padding" at all, really. And you didn't have to read or even see the periods!
You seriously overreacted to a pretty innocuous infraction by threatening to ban me for simple periods! I should think it would require something more serious than that (i.e. abusive language, flaming, etc.) to be permanently banned. But I guess the use of a few harmless periods is deleterious enough.
In my post, I humbly asked for some help and was hoping to receive some expert advice -- which I did not.
I guess I misinterpreted these forums; I thought these forums were for the uneducated to be educated by experts.
defender :(
defender
Novice

Post by defender »

P.S. You read my posts but don't offer any help -- just excoriating criticism. This helps me in no way. And if you really want to shorten posts, you should ban everyone who uses quotes -- they take up a lot of room and sometimes require (God forbid) some exhausting scrolling.
defender :(