Apple TV File Settings

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
umdterrapins

Apple TV File Settings

Post by umdterrapins »

I am trying to find the best settings for converting basketball games for Apple TV playback. Obviously, the fast motion makes finding the best settings critical. I am using HD mpeg files as my source for conversion, so I either have 1080i or 720p sources. I have tried a number of settings, and clearly for 720p sources, keeping the resolution native and making it 24 fps so it will play on Apple TV provides terrible results. I also have tried converting 1080i sources to 960 vs 540 at 29.97, but the motion isn't very smooth. I also tried changing the advanced settings for motion estimation, but that didn't seem to make a great difference. I've also tried capturing the HD into Final Cut at ProRes and HD DVC Pro resolutions and then converting. But Handbrake doesn't read ProRes and the motion issues remain on the HD DVC Pro material.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my mpegs to play on Apple TV at a high resolution, but also look smooth?
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Re: Apple TV File Settings

Post by refulgentis »

You're basically screwed because of the nature of sports and the ATV fps limits :/
what2be

Re: Apple TV File Settings

Post by what2be »

Huh? If that was the case you couldnt rent any HD movies on your apple tv because they would all be blurred.

Simple solution to the OP would be to use Ripbot 264 and open the hd mpeg yo have, convert to apple tv profile, set res to 1280x720, then reneder to a mp4 or m4v file.

You may be able to do this in handbrake, but I dont have enough experience with handbrake to tell you if its possible or not.

Heres the specs for the apple tv..

Video formats supported

* H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats