Gamma or Lost Detail Issue with 0.9.3 (AppleTV)

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
robertbroussard

Gamma or Lost Detail Issue with 0.9.3 (AppleTV)

Post by robertbroussard »

I'm running various tests with the standard AppleTV setting (new pre-set) and a few variations as suggested in the forum..... and I've noticed that there seems to be a gamma issue... that is, many of the scenes are missing detail in the shadows.... I noticed that the legacy encode does not have this problem... also the new preset seems less-sharp on things like titles.... very subtle but seemingly soft.

Anyway, right now, I need to get this loss of shadow detail issue resolved.

BTW: how can I include a photo in this message... I was trying to post an example.... but perhaps that's not needed.

Robert
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Gamma or Lost Detail Issue with 0.9.3 (AppleTV)

Post by rhester »

Try turning off the Psy-RD and/or VAQ options and see if it helps.

Rodney
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

More likely fall-out from setting the color matrix. Doesn't matter if we set it to Bt.601, Bt.709, or leave it blank...seems like *someone's* always griping.
robertbroussard

rhester wrote:Try turning off the Psy-RD and/or VAQ options and see if it helps.

Rodney
How do I turn these things off? I was looking at the advanced tab for the new AppleTV preset but it seems that I have not found where to make those changes.

Thanks,

Robert'
robertbroussard

jbrjake wrote:More likely fall-out from setting the color matrix. Doesn't matter if we set it to Bt.601, Bt.709, or leave it blank...seems like *someone's* always griping.
Do I have access to those settings? How?

BTW: the loss of detail (or increased contrast or gamma issue or darkness increase) is obviously different from the legacy preset... I was happy with the way the video looked but I also like the smaller file sizes of the new approach.

One more thing, what's the risk of the CABAC encoding... I know that officially AppleTV does not support this but it works... Are we expecting this to continue...? What's the risk to ripping my whole library and then this is not supported down the road? Does the Apple Store use such encoding--maybe that's something to use as a guide if we know that information.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Robert
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Oh, I misinterpreted "legacy encode" to be one done with an older version of HB, not with the ATV Legacy preset.

Rhester's got it. Probably psy-rd or vaq. No widgets for them yet, do it the text box on the advanced tab.
robertbroussard

jbrjake wrote:Oh, I misinterpreted "legacy encode" to be one done with an older version of HB, not with the ATV Legacy preset.

Rhester's got it. Probably psy-rd or vaq. No widgets for them yet, do it the text box on the advanced tab.
So, what do I need to type in the advanced area?

Thanks,

R
Thundersnake

Post by Thundersnake »

I have also the problem, that handbrake h.264 encoded video is quite a bit darker then the original source. I use the AppleTV Setting to convert the video.

This problem exist since 2007.
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... dark+movie

If i watch the movie with VLC-Player the color is correct. But with Quicktime and AppleTV the picture is too dark.

I dont know, why this problem is not corrected in recent years.
robertbroussard

So, what's the solution?

BTW: I did not have this problem with the legacy pre-set... only the new pre-set from 0.9.3.

I'm ready to do a lot of encoding and need a solution ASAP.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

R
Didge

Post by Didge »

I have the same problem - but only with particular DVDs ...

I recently ripped several episodes of a TV show using HB 0.9.1 - no problems, video is perfect.

Then I ripped from another DVD - used the SAME presets ...
Video is low brightness with high contrast (a gamma problem ?).
Video is normal when the DVD is played on a Mac using DVD player.

I researched the HB wiki and FAQs - cant find a solution.

Any suggestions ?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Didge wrote:I have the same problem - but only with particular DVDs ...

I recently ripped several episodes of a TV show using HB 0.9.1 - no problems, video is perfect.

Then I ripped from another DVD - used the SAME presets ...
Video is low brightness with high contrast (a gamma problem ?).
Video is normal when the DVD is played on a Mac using DVD player.

I researched the HB wiki and FAQs - cant find a solution.

Any suggestions ?
This is likely not the same issue, and we no longer offer support for .9.1.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Thundersnake wrote:I have also the problem, that handbrake h.264 encoded video is quite a bit darker then the original source. I use the AppleTV Setting to convert the video.

This problem exist since 2007.
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... dark+movie

If i watch the movie with VLC-Player the color is correct. But with Quicktime and AppleTV the picture is too dark.

I dont know, why this problem is not corrected in recent years.
How about you try actually reading the thread before posting? This is absurd. Right above your post we already went through this and established that the problem was not, in any possible way, shape, or form, connected to COLR matrix.

Furthermore, I simply cannot believe that you would claim we've been ignoring this problem. The very thread you link to, not to mention the one you posted in, document that in fact we *have* addressed this problem.
lansharked

Post by lansharked »

This may not help mac users, but perhaps will be useful to PC folks who find this thread...

I came up with a workaround for the darkness issue I'm pretty happy with so I thought I'd share it. :idea:
This only helps during playback, however, and does not affect the original HB encode.

I tried using ffdshow tryouts for playback video decoding (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/) and found that it has a 'Luminance level fix' feature that restores the brightness of my HB 0.9.3 .mp4 DVD rips compared to the DVD source (IMHO).

Cheers.