NO AUDIO?... Read Here! (Summary in First Post) **UPDATED**

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
qwerty123

Re: Audio fixed in latest SVN?

Post by qwerty123 »

dynaflash wrote: Nope, x264 was modded by jbrjake on may 2nd (svn rev's 561 and 562). which was after the advanced tab but before I added the advanced options popups.

So, I believe you are seeing a benefit from jbrjakes upgrade! If you have any others that previously gave you audio drops and want to test them, we would be interested in hearing your results.
That pesky DVD is the only one with which I've had the audio problem. But I undid the bit rate change overnight and the 'normal' settings I've had the problem with previously, worked a treat! So I'd suggest that it's a fix for me (the timing of events seems perfect). Let's see if others concur. I hope so.

Thanks for the tips on svn. I'll have to do some research and figure out where stuff lives.
ClimbingTheLog

Post by ClimbingTheLog »

mikecool493 wrote: The problem does not exist with HandBrake 0.7.0
That's not true, I see it with 0.7.0. with "Accepted" (C2D MBP 2.16GHz, 10.4.9).
mikecool493 wrote: Just wanted to say that this is very annoying.... Please fix this...Thanks guys, love handbrake
The problem hasn't yet been defined, so if you love handbrake and by association, the developers, please be kind to them.
Cavalicious

Now I'm asking for help!

Post by Cavalicious »

Deja Vu (Region 1 Widescreen)

For the life of me, I CAN NOT GET THIS TO ENCODE!

I've search, read, tried every suggestion in other posts and ALWAYS get Audio drops. Currently, I'm only able to do a full extraction with MTR, run that through D2OX2 and burn full DVD with Titanium Toast 8.

After about 30 DVDs, I have finally found one I can't encode. It's been kicking my ass for 4 days now!
ClimbingTheLog

Post by ClimbingTheLog »

Add "Return To Me" to the list (C2D MBP 2.16GHz, 10.4.9).

Note: the VIDEO_TS's I have problems with play fine in MPlayer. I wonder, being open source, if it would be feasible to use MPlayer's decoders as an option for troublesome decodes.

It might even be possible to do silence detection and know when to switch.
Nubo

Post by Nubo »

I've just run across the sound drop issue while using 0.8.5.b1 for the first time (previously had been using 0.7.1b)

Movie - Signs
Destination - desktop file, SATA drive
Source - from DVD
DVD drive - external La Cie firewire:
_NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW:

Firmware Revision: 3.04
Interconnect: FireWire
Burn Support: Yes (Vendor Supported)
Profile Path: VendorSupport.drprofile
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media:
Media Type: DVD-ROM
Blank: No
Erasable: No
Overwritable: No
Appendable: No

Hardware - G4 (digital audio), 1.6GHZ cpu upgrade, 768MB RAM
OS - Mac OS X 1.4.9

Handbrake settings - all defaults except 2000kbps

first pass looked normal (100% cpu)
Came back to machine a few minutes into 2nd pass - cpu at 50-60%, which seemed odd.
Rip completed (slowly), and the file was viewable, but sound cut out after the first 3 minutes or so.

-rebooted, trashed handbrake prefs, started 0.8.5.b1 again. This time, the cpu drop happened early in 1st pass, after a couple of application switches.

- cancelled the rip, started HB 0.7.1 and it ran normally, 100% all the way through both passes and produced a good video with sound.
andyring

Re: Audio fixed in latest SVN?

Post by andyring »

dynaflash wrote:So, I believe you are seeing a benefit from jbrjakes upgrade! If you have any others that previously gave you audio drops and want to test them, we would be interested in hearing your results.
I've had consistent audio dropouts on every DVD I've tried, both ripping with MTR and with HandBrake 0.8.5b1 (2007042001). I'd be happy to help test if it would be of benefit. I'm using a MacBook with [Censored]-R UJ-857D Revision: KBV9 drive (as reported by System Profiler).
eilis.aine

No Sound either...

Post by eilis.aine »

I am having the same problem when ripping TV episodes. I get about 3-4 minutes in and then nothing, no sound just picture. I am using a G5 iMac with OS 10.4.9 Tiger. I have tried just doing a single episode without putting other episodes in queue. What's interesting is when it scans the DVD, it finds all the titles 1-8 (there are 8 episodes on the disc) but puts a check mark automatically on the 3rd episode. Does this mean that the program is detecting a problem with the first two episodes? BTW - this is not a copy protected disc that I can see.

Please help.
guitrmn35

Different things that I've tried.

Post by guitrmn35 »

I have had this problem before the new HB 0.8.5b1 version was released. When using HB 0.7.1 it happened much less, but it still occurred from time to time. When this problem happened to me before, I tried using DVD Shrink 3.2 on a PC, transferring the TS files to my mac then running through HB 0.7.1. For the most part, that would stop the audio drop outs. I have attempted this same method while using HB 0.8.5b.1 and have only had it work once. I have run the same movies, through HB 0.7.1 after it was unsuccessful in 0.8.5b.1 and they seem to work fine. I'm not sure if that helps on any level, but I thought I would give my input just in case.

GuitrMn35
Macbook Pro 1.83 GHz
2GB RAM
mikecool493

Post by mikecool493 »

ClimbingTheLog wrote: That's not true, I see it with 0.7.0. with "Accepted" (C2D MBP 2.16GHz,
10.4.9).
Well, for me it is true. 0.7.0 works fine for me every time.
ClimbingTheLog wrote:The problem hasn't yet been defined, so if you love handbrake and by association, the developers, please be kind to them.
I was never unkind to them. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
ClimbingTheLog

Post by ClimbingTheLog »

mikecool493 wrote:Well, for me it is true. 0.7.0 works fine for me every time.
OK, that's fine, but different than the problem doesn't exist in 0.7.0.
mikecool493 wrote:I was never unkind to them. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Since the problem hasn't been defined yet, and the devs have said as much, on this thread, as they don't know what the problem is yet, asking them to 'please fix it' is unfair.

See also here: http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=501
mikecool493

Post by mikecool493 »

ClimbingTheLog wrote: Since the problem hasn't been defined yet, and the devs have said as much, on this thread, as they don't know what the problem is yet, asking them to 'please fix it' is unfair.

See also here: http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=501
For the record, I made my original post in this thread to only help make this issue a priority. That is all. I greatly appreciate the work these guys do.

Thanks.
cknyckny

Post by cknyckny »

just wanted to add that I'm another person here who is getting owned by deja vu ;)
Xcapee

I agree with the race condition theory

Post by Xcapee »

Hi all.
I would like to ask if anyone has had the "sound drop" problem without chapter markers enabled.
After someone on the thread made the observation that the drop occurs at a chapter marker boundary, I went and checked all my failed conversions. Sure enough, the sound dropped at a chapter boundary.
Then I re-encoded the same disc with exactly the same settings three times, except for the chapter marker setting.
  • With GUI & chapter markers on (audio drops on chapter boundary)
    With CLI & chapter markers on (audio drops on different chapter boundary)
    With GUI & chapter markers off (audo fine)
It failed in both GUI and CLI if chapter markers were on, and worked fine with chapter markers off. I quit after a successful conversion because I have a pile of DVDs I'm working through, but chapter markers seem to be a causal factor.
If it is a race condition as suggested earlier in the thread, it may also be that the chapter marker just makes it show up there. There may be other reasons it shows up, hence my question above about anyone with failed audio without chapter markers on.

Hope that adds more valuable debugging data.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

The reason you're seeing drop-out at chapter markers is because that's the most likely place for PTS discontinuities, not because of chapter markers or race conditions.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Re: I agree with the race condition theory

Post by loyalty_anchored »

Xcapee wrote:
is this reproduction solid? what i mean by this is, how many times did you encode the same movie, from same source, only modifying the chapters variable? can you reproduce this over and over again ?

im going to have to run some tests with a DVD that has been causing me problems... sounds like an interesting theory.
Xcapee

Re: I agree with the race condition theory

Post by Xcapee »

loyalty_anchored wrote:
Xcapee wrote:
is this reproduction solid? what i mean by this is, how many times did you encode the same movie, from same source, only modifying the chapters variable? can you reproduce this over and over again ?
I only did this particular disc the three times mentioned, but all the other times I have had sound drop, it was at a chapter boundary. I have yet to go back and redo those without chapter markers.

edit:
As mentioned earlier in the thread, a race condition would account for a conversion from a rip working where conversion from original DVD fails. There could be any number of reasons for this (and I have never looked at the code or its structure). Is there a buffer under run because of a race condition instead of a reliable lock? does the audio encoding process/thread die/crash/hang/lock spin if it misses some event from another thread? How threaded is the code? Does this problem occur on single proc/core machines?
Xcapee

It's NOT the chapter markers

Post by Xcapee »

It's NOT the chapter markers

I just finished a re-encode without chapter markers, and the audio dropped out at a chapter boundary but chapter markers were not included.

So: The audio drops seem to happen at chapter boundaries. This can occur with or without chapter markers enabled.
ClimbingTheLog

Re: It's NOT the chapter markers

Post by ClimbingTheLog »

Xcapee wrote:I just finished a re-encode without chapter markers, and the audio dropped out at a chapter boundary but chapter markers were not included.
Same here, I think. I didn't re-rip without chapters or anything, I just tried to re-encode without Chapter Markers selected (are we all talking about the same thing?). I heard the disappointing spin-down of my fans as the frame rate dropped from 28-32 to 6-7.

Disc: Accepted. Rip: MTR 3, Main Feature. Hardware: MBP C2D 2.16, OS: 10.4.9
sidechain

Post by sidechain »

I think this sound issue sound be fixed I have found these titles the don't work just in the last few days, Cars, Eight Below, Ice Age 2, Inside Man, Over The Hedge, Deja Vu, DaVinchi Code. That's a pretty high rate when i picked 20 movies to do and 7 of the had the no sound problem.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

sidechain wrote:I think this sound issue sound be fixed I have found these titles the don't work just in the last few days, Cars, Eight Below, Ice Age 2, Inside Man, Over The Hedge, Deja Vu, DaVinchi Code. That's a pretty high rate when i picked 20 movies to do and 7 of the had the no sound problem.
I don't think this is a HB issue (per se'). The same DVD can produce a good encode for some while not for others. This would lead me to believe it's more of a Mastering issue.

For an example: Inside Man, Over the Hedge and Cars worked fine for me.
Xcapee

Post by Xcapee »

Cavalicious wrote:I don't think this is a HB issue (per se'). The same DVD can produce a good encode for some while not for others. This would lead me to believe it's more of a Mastering issue.

For an example: Inside Man, Over the Hedge and Cars worked fine for me.
A mastering issue does not really fit the information we have. If it were mastering, why does it seem to occur at chapter boundaries? Why does the same disc, have the audio drop at different chapter boundaries when encoded from the same source on hard disk on the same machine with the same settings?

It is NOT to do with physically reading the disc. Everything points to some time based issue around the crossing of a chapter boundary.
Last edited by Xcapee on Sun May 20, 2007 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Xcapee wrote:A mastering issue does not really fit the information we have. If it were mastering, why does it seem to occur at chapter boundaries? Why does the same disc, have the audio drop at different chapter boundaries when encoded from the same source on hard disk on the same machine with the same settings?
Everything you stated, is an argument FOR it being a mastering issue. DVD Mastering is only 10% physical placement of data. The other 90% is structure (read how the VOBs, etc. are muxed and accessed). For some reason, you think just because you rip a DVD to your hard drive, that you have overcame Mastering issues. Wrong!

I don't feel like getting into a long discussion about why this is so, but here is an example:

Take The Curse of the Golden Flower and run a Full Disk Extraction using MTR. Now according to your logic, you should have overcame Mastering issues. Now run said folder through DTOX2. If/when DTOX2 finally is able to read the folder, tell me how many Mastering issues are still present...26 I believe.
Xcapee wrote:It is NOT to do with physically reading the disc. Everything points to some time based issue around the crossing of a chapter boundary.
...hmmm chapter boundaries, you mean those things that are part of the Mastering process?

Another thing...I'm fully aware of "...the information we have.", I started the thread. What you must realize is, not all information in this thread is relevant .

--Play around a little with DVD Studio Pro, and you will get a better understanding of whats involved with DVD Mastering--
Xcapee

Post by Xcapee »

Cavalicious: chill out. You're right. I'm wrong. I misread / misinterpreted "mastering". mea culpa.

However, I still don't think it fits the information we have. And yes, there will be some red herrings in here too.

The main reason I don't think it's mastering is that if it were to do with the logical structure (not physical - I get it now!) then surely it would happen predictably at the same point.

The reason I think it points to a race condition is because different people have different experiences with the same title. Moreover, you can repeat the exact same conversion on the same equipment with the same settings from the same source, and it loses audio in a different place.

And I don't think I want a long discussion about it either. I don't think I could stand it.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

I just joined the "no audio" club with the movie AIRPLANE! This DVD is the one (re) released in 2005, although I don't know what might be different about it from earlier releases. It's the "Don't Call Me Shirley! Edition" easily available for under $10.

But I was lucky and able to easily overcome the issue and keep the audio eventually.

I had first ripped the main feature with MTR 3 r14d. So, no sound from the HB version. Reading here that the audio usually would be present and then at some point cut out, I sampled various points to see where this occurred --- almost right at the beginning.

When you rip the main feature of this movie, you also get the opening Paramount logo with the mountain and that dissolves into another Paramount logo against a plain blue background, no mountain. All of this happens in a few seconds and is represented by Chapters 1-3.

Chapter 4, where the actual movie begins, loses the audio. So, working from the main feature rip, I told HB to only work on the rest starting with Chapter 4 and the result is perfect.

I realize this isn't something that will work in most cases but mainly wanted to offer it as a data point for anyone interested in investigating.
dro

Post by dro »

I had this problem with Eragon. The MTR ripped copy on disk was fine, but the HB .mv4 (Apple TV) dropped the audio at chapter 3. I used MPEG Streamclip to open the MTR rip and fix timecode breaks, then had it export to MPEG-4. It plays fine now on ATV with no audio dropouts.

So I'm not sure if it's an HB issue, but there seems to be a timecode issue which MPEG Streamclip can fix.

Edit: I had the movie playing while I made this post, and a few minutes afterwards I realized the movie's audio is now out of sync. It didn't start out that way, but about half way thru it gets out of sync.