NO AUDIO?... Read Here! (Summary in First Post) **UPDATED**

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Jasoco

Post by Jasoco »

I'm having good luck so far with the CLI. An entire season of The Simpsons ripped perfectly as well as did three DVD's I've had multiple failures with using the GUI. Star Trek VI, Rat Race and Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Of course I just realized I forgot to set the -m flag and forgot to put in chapter markers. :roll:
abi

Post by abi »

I had this very same issue with audio dropouts. The DVD I focused on was Pirates of The Caribbean. I read a little bit into issues with MTR and the drives Apple uses. The first thing I tried was ripping using my PC and moving the entire moving the image to my iMac. No matter what I tried I would wind up with audio dropout issues. Each time CPU utilization would drop to minimal levels. At that point I knew it wasn't the rip. So in my troubleshooting I stopped using the deinterlace option. Since then I haven't had any issues. Every movie I have ripped so far has worked flawlessly.
Josh396

Post by Josh396 »

I'm going to apologize from the start if I missed something while reading the thread or I'm doing something wrong in my attempt to fix my no audio problem. I've read over most of this thread and then attempted to go the MTR -> DVD2oneX -> Handbrake (0.8.5b1) to no avail. I'm still having the audio dropouts.

As of right now I've only tried Pirates of the Carribean (the first one), Wedding Crashers, American Wedding movies without a single one working. I initially tried ripping them using MTR -> Handbrake and found the audio problems. I then tried ripping them by just using Handbrake and skipping the MTR and still ran into the same trouble. After stumbling onto this thread looking for a solution I thought I found it but so far I haven't. My guess is I'm doing something wrong with the DVD2oneX step.

I know it may be a pain but would someone tell me if there is a specific step that I'm supposed to do that I may be missing. I tried going the Movie Only copy and then ripping the file I get from there. I'm using version 2.1.0. I thought I read somewhere about removing the Zero cells but I wasn't able to find what I thought would be zero cells when I looked under the cell section. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: After looking in Pirates again for a zero cell I found one that is 0 seconds in length and has 0 MB, which I'm guessing is a zero cell. Do I just uncheck the box? Also, I checked again in Wedding Crashers and wasn't able to find a zero cell, though I found numerous ones that were only 4 seconds in length and contained 31 MB of data. I'm guessing they're not zero cells but I don't know. Thanks again.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Josh396 wrote: EDIT: After looking in Pirates again for a zero cell I found one that is 0 seconds in length and has 0 MB, which I'm guessing is a zero cell. Do I just uncheck the box?
yep, uncheck that box. zero size and zero duration = zero cell :)
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Maybe its just me, but I'm finding it hard to believe that the steps (procedure) in the first post is that difficult to follow...

1. MTR 3r14d
-Full Disc Extraction only

2. DTOX2
-Movie only extraction
-Remove any 0 cells
-hit the green button

3. Take new folder and run it through HB
-(recommend using CLI but if not, then make sure to choose correct Preset)

4. Let run - Enjoy!
Josh396

Post by Josh396 »

Well those are the exact steps I did follow I just kept getting the same problem. I've gone over American Wedding and Wedding Crashers again and I'm still not able to find any zero cells but I did find one in Pirates which I'm ripping as we speak. I guess I'll have to check around some more for a fix to my other movies. Thanks for the quick and helpful replies.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Are you using the CLI or the GUI...

I suspect the GUI, so you may want to use the CLI.

Also, My post above was mainly Generic in focus, not just to you specifically, as this seems to be a hot topic again. With little effort in following directions.

That said, search the thread for the CLI string I used for Deja Vu, and apply it to one of your other movies.

:idea: - you are using MTR 3r14d or above...right?
Josh396

Post by Josh396 »

As you guessed I am using the GUI version. I'll try out the CLI version now since I'm still having problems. After deleting the zero cells in Pirates of the Carribean I'm still having the audio dropout problem or so I suspect since the FPS just dropped to the 6-8. Also, I'm not using MTR 3r14. I have 2.6.6 and 3r13. I'm just waiting back on the email from the folks over at MTR to donate for the newer version. I'm guessing you're going to say my problem is related to that? Thanks again for all the help.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

hey guys,

i was wondering if any of you have been able to replicate the audio drop when keeping the original AC3 audio?

i would be very curious to see if some of you could re-run the encode that dropped audio and ask HB to keep the original audio track instead of encoding the audio.

will the audio drop again? or will it leave the AC3 stream untouched? i know i could test it myself, but i have no way of doing so at the moment.

i think since most people do encode their audio that there is no enough data to answer my question. but if a few people who get a dropped audio can just re-run the encode with the same source with the only different setting being the audio set to AC3 and respond back, i think it would be very helpful in tracking this nasty problem.

once you have encoded your movie with the AC3 audio stream you can use VLC media player to test the file out and see if audio drops or not.

my gut tells me audio will not drop if AC3 is passed through as opposed to the audio being encoded.

:D
Eug

Post by Eug »

I get the same missing audio problem with a disc without any DRM, with Handbrake 0.8.5b1. The DVD was created using a Panasonic standalone DVD recorder (DMR-E30).

Interestingly, it dropped the audio for 29.97 Hz encodes, but not 23.98 Hz encodes (both to H.264 main profile 2500 Kbps).

I am using the de-interlacing option, with the GUI'd app.

I have not had this problem before with 0.7.1. I will try again with this, with the VIDEO_TS folder saved to the hard drive in advance. I don't know if I've ever done the same type of rip with 0.8.0b1, but the times I've done 23.98 fps rips with 0.8.0b1 it was fine.

Or maybe I'll just try it first without the chapter markers checked.
Eug

Post by Eug »

Eug wrote:I get the same missing audio problem with a disc without any DRM, with Handbrake 0.8.5b1. The DVD was created using a Panasonic standalone DVD recorder (DMR-E30).

Interestingly, it dropped the audio for 29.97 Hz encodes, but not 23.98 Hz encodes (both to H.264 main profile 2500 Kbps).

I am using the de-interlacing option, with the GUI'd app.

I have not had this problem before with 0.7.1. I will try again with this, with the VIDEO_TS folder saved to the hard drive in advance. I don't know if I've ever done the same type of rip with 0.8.0b1, but the times I've done 23.98 fps rips with 0.8.0b1 it was fine.

Or maybe I'll just try it first without the chapter markers checked.
Interesting. It doesn't work with 0.7.1 either with this title. Weird.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Eug wrote:I get the same missing audio problem with a disc without any DRM, with Handbrake 0.8.5b1. The DVD was created using a Panasonic standalone DVD recorder (DMR-E30).
It's very likely this uses MP2 audio, which requires a fix currently available only with SVN compiles. It should work as expected in the next beta.

Rodney
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

First time Handbrake user, on a new MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 15", and I seem to have hit this problem with the very first DVD I tried to rip: Finding Nemo. It was getting < 1 fps, reporting 36+ hours to complete, and my CPU utilization was < 10%. And the DVD drive was "squeaking" like it was jumping from scene to scene very rapidly.

I finally quit, after finding a post directing me to this issue. I put in X-Men III, but it was taking so long to just scan the disc initially (locating the main movie) I ejected it and quit for the night.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

DaveF wrote:First time Handbrake user, on a new MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 15", and I seem to have hit this problem with the very first DVD I tried to rip: Finding Nemo. It was getting < 1 fps, reporting 36+ hours to complete, and my CPU utilization was < 10%. And the DVD drive was "squeaking" like it was jumping from scene to scene very rapidly.

I finally quit, after finding a post directing me to this issue. I put in X-Men III, but it was taking so long to just scan the disc initially (locating the main movie) I ejected it and quit for the night.
DaveF, it sounds like you are encoding with HandBrake direct from disk, you should not be doing that. You need to use a seperate software ripper like MacTheRipper to "rip" your DVD to your hard drive before converting it with HandBrake.

I would highly recomend an external DVD drive as the internal MBP drives are horrible... mine is anyways.

good luck!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

That's right, I'm using HB to rip the DVD as well, from the MBP internal drive.

I've got MactheRipper, but thought HB was an all-in-one tool during my first attempts.

This makes much more sense now. Hope to try it out soon. Thanks. :)
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

Cavalicious wrote:Maybe its just me, but I'm finding it hard to believe that the steps (procedure) in the first post is that difficult to follow...

1. MTR 3r14d
-Full Disc Extraction only

2. DTOX2
-Movie only extraction
-Remove any 0 cells
-hit the green button
Why run DTOX2 when MTR 3r14d already does 0 cell removal?

Cheers, Ed.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

DaveF wrote:That's right, I'm using HB to rip the DVD as well, from the MBP internal drive.

I've got MactheRipper, but thought HB was an all-in-one tool during my first attempts.

It Clearly states in the summary that this is not an "all-in-one" app.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

eddyg wrote:
Why run DTOX2 when MTR 3r14d already does 0 cell removal?
MTR does not remove zero cells when using Full Disc Extraction.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Cavalicious wrote:
DaveF wrote:That's right, I'm using HB to rip the DVD as well, from the MBP internal drive.

It Clearly states in the summary that this is not an "all-in-one" app.
I suppose; I just knew that Handbrake was highly recommended for DVD conversion and I was in a rush. But looking at the Handbrake "what it is" summary, I find:
http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/IsIsnt
"HandBrake is a GPL'd multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 converter." followed by a long description of Open Source philosophy. Sounds like an all-in-one tool to me.
cletis169

Audio help

Post by cletis169 »

I am having a problem with my audio cutting out, but it doesn't seem to have to do with my drive. I rip tw versions of my videos, one for the iPod and one for AppleTV. The iPod version comes out fine but the AppleTV cuts the audio out halfway through. This just started and I have ripped AppleTV videos fine before this on the same machine. Any suggestions?

By the way HB is a great program, good job and thank you...
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

DaveF wrote:I suppose; I just knew that Handbrake was highly recommended for DVD conversion and I was in a rush. But looking at the Handbrake "what it is" summary, I find:
"HandBrake is a GPL'd multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 converter." followed by a long description of Open Source philosophy. Sounds like an all-in-one tool to me.
Um, no. I put that page together, so I can say so without qualification. You will see that I wrote, as the second sentence: "HandBrake is not everything for everyone for every need."

The last time I edited that page, the *only* change was to replace "ripper/converter" with "converter." http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/IsIs ... &version=3
bonecollector60

my experience

Post by bonecollector60 »

My experiences so far:

MTR 3.0 - R12 for ripping the following DVD's (each rip was only a rip of the main feature of the DVD):
- Dark City
- Contact
- Blade
- The Mummy
- Mission Impossible

With Handbrake 0.8.5b1 and following setting the audio problem appeared consistently, although at various points in the resulting mp4 file.

Settings:
mp4 file format
H264 codec
2 pass encoding
average size 2000
subtitle english (1)

All other settings unchanged (default values).

With the CLI of Handbrake using the same settings, the audio problem did not appear. So, as of now I'm using CLI with a small shell script which works flawless. It even appears faster but it could be that I'm imagining things here. Been doing quite a bit a failed encodings lately.... :?

Environment: Macbook Pro (Intel) with OS X 10.4.10.

I haven't read through this entire thread yet as the audio problem only appeared with DVD's that I have to rip with MTR first. The above list of DVD's was bought in the US where they have a different region than Holland (region 2) and I recently decided to add my US DVD to my iTunes library and thus stumbled on this @&^$%@& audio problem.

The audio problem does not appear with DVD's I transfer directly with Handbrake from the original region 2 DVD.

Just my 2 cents to this mystery....
MPDan

audio issues

Post by MPDan »

I do not use MTR and yet I still have the audio 'clickling' and dropping off completely. I use my PC and DVD Extractor to extract the DVDs then HB to encode to H264. This happens on numerous DVDs.

I have a MacPro 2.0 so if anyone wants me to test. Let me know.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

jbrjake wrote:
DaveF wrote:I suppose; I just knew that Handbrake was highly recommended for DVD conversion and I was in a rush. But looking at the Handbrake "what it is" summary, I find:
Um, no. I put that page together, so I can say so without qualification. You will see that I wrote, as the second sentence: "HandBrake is not everything for everyone for every need."

The last time I edited that page, the *only* change was to replace "ripper/converter" with "converter." http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/IsIs ... &version=3
I appreciate the clarification -- but as a new user, and not deeply informed about the nuances of "converter" versus "ripper", this reads like Handbrake will get the job done starting from ripping the DVD to encoding the files. It will convert from DVD (the disc) to MPEG-4 (the final file).

The not-for-everyone caveat is useless without clarification on what it doesn't do well. And the long explanation of open-source philosophy was useless to a new user is trying to figure out if Handbrake will get the job done. (Unfortunately, key help sections on Handbrake link to empty webpages.)

Adding a second sentence would help immensely: Handbrake is best used in conjunction with a separate DVD ripping program such as X.

I'd go further and make the "what is it" page a succinct overview of Handbrake's strengths (as a video file encoder / converter) and weaknesses (ripper). And move the GPL discourse to a separate Appendix.

I've got a Ripper now. I look forward to getting this up and running, and seeing if playing ripped DVDs is a better solution than carrying DVDs with me when I travel. :)

And hopefully I can use this for encoding movie clips for e.g PowerPoint presentations.
not_too_shabby

Post by not_too_shabby »

The list of DVD's that I have problem are growing....

Monsters Inc
Finding Nemo
Mary Poppins
Alice in Wonderland

They are all Disney. I tried using the CLI on Handbrake and the older GUI version of mediafork. I have tried using the 2.6.6 version of MTR and burning straight from the DVD.

The wierd thing is I had no problem with Cars, which is newer than Finding nemo and monsters....go figure. This is getting on my nerves...

I have the same problem on my emac with a pioneer drive or my ibook with a [Censored] drive....