NO AUDIO?... Read Here! (Summary in First Post) **UPDATED**

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
baggss

Post by baggss »

1. It has already been proven many times, that this is not an Intel issue.
Ok, I've just not seen many folks without Intel machines seeing this issue. I've tried duplicating some of this with the same DVDs and have never been able to cause the issue to occur.
2. Again, its not the Drives that have a problem, its the Media we force it to read.

3. MTR complain about "[Censored]" drives, but its the Main Title Only extraction in their software thats the problem. When MTR does a full copy (Full Disk Extract) everything is fine. I have a "[Censored]" drive and have no problems doing Full disk Extractions with MTR.
The guy above who had the problem with the [Censored] drive and then
didn't have it with the pioneer drive (same movie etc) might lead one to believe differently. The MTR folks don't have the issue with the Pioneer drives on either Main or Full from what I have read, then again I have not read the threads there in a while. The fact that some drives seem to handle the media better than others seems pretty significant to me.
4. Zero Cells isn't really that big of a deal, since there are plenty of software out there to remove them. Its when you forget to remove the Zero "Duration" cells, thats when you can run into issues.
Agreed.

Again, I have tried to recreate this issue with the settings you all have listed with the same movies when I can. It doesn't happen at all. If it's bug in HB, it should be consistent at least, or so one would think. Dynaflash and I have talked about this before and he also seems surprised that I have been unable to duplicate it. BTW, I have tried it on my Quad and my older iBook G4.

I'll step out of this conversation for now since I have nothing further to add.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I really do think we're both on the same page...

The fact that you don't have this issue (NoAud), you should consider yourself blessed. At the same time, I can run a Zero Cell/Duration DVD through HB (without removing cells) and get a perfect encode, marks me as blessed also.

The part that I think it hard for people to understand it the "tolerance " level of the different Drive types. Its along the same lines why 1 of the 4 DVD Players I own will not by no means what-so-ever, will read a DVD-R. Its the most expensive DVD Player I (and maybe anyone else) own. Also puts out a better interlaced picture than most progressive/up-converting players. Nothing is wrong with the player, it just strictly adheres to the commercial DVD spec.
bdkennedy1
Enlightened

Post by bdkennedy1 »

I think I tried absolutely every different variation of settings to get audio out of the first chapter of "Cry In The Dark" and nothing.

So I wondered what Roxio Crunch would do with this. Crunch encoded the movie perfectly. It took 10 times longer using Quicktime, but it worked.

So I'm guessing it's not a problem with my DVD rip if Crunch encoded it and Handbrake can't?

Also for who's interested, according to VisualHub's latest build it contains a new version of ffmpeg.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

guys, i want to make another post in this thread to remind you all of a few things i went through when i spent some serious time testing this issue.

i found a DVD where i could replicate the audio drop on demand which is what i needed for testing purposes, and i begun testing.

1- internal MBP drive -> ripped MTR 2.6.6 -> main feature mode -> audio dropped.
2- internal MBP drive -> ripped MTR 2.6.6 -> full disk mode -> audio dropped.
3- external Pioneer-DVR111 -> ripped MTR 2.6.6 -> main feature mode -> audio dropped.
4- external Pioneer-DVR111 -> ripped MTR 2.6.6 -> full disk mode -> audio dropped.

all 4 of these scenarios was encoded with Handbrake GUI and using the exact same audio/video settings every single time.

at this point I even went as far as ripping the DVD using AnyDVD on my PC, transfering it over, and guess what? audio dropped again. many say that AnyDVD is the best and takes care of audio drops, well, not with this case.

so i used my AnyDVD rip and started changing settings in HandBrake. I kept every single setting the same, and changed my video from Anamorphic to keep aspect ratio at 640x...

audio was intact and did not drop. this was still being tested in the GUI. can someone please even begin to explain this to me?

having said this, i do very strongly believe that there are multiple reasons why audio is dropping and all audio drops people are experiencing are not the same.

now to make this even a little bit more interesting, i took my encoding over to the CLI instead of the GUI. i took my encode settings back to the ones i was using in the GUI which would result in the audio drops, so i did an anamorphic encode in the CLI, and audio did not drop.

i did a minimum of two encodes with every test to make sure i could replicate and it was not a fluke. i will say that since i learned to use CLI, i have not had a single audio drop issue, but like i said, i do believe that there are multiple audio drop problems not all related to the same issue.

the answer to one of the issues, lays in HandBrake GUI.
the other answer probably lays in hardware.

i hope this little recap of my experience with audio drops helps someone resolve this issue, which i feel has become a huge show stopper. if i were a dev and had the knowledge they do, i would not bother developing little nick nacks until this very big issue which is hitting HandBrakes reliability as an encoder was resolved.

i know some will say its not HB, its the ripper, the drive ... but using the exact same video_ts with another encoder does not result in an audio drops elsewhere, i think this is a pretty solid sign that x264/HB needs to be looked at in depth.

i love HB, and x264... but its reliability has pushed me to go to another solution for my encoding needs. i certainly hope that this issue gets resolved. i do not know how much work the DEVs are doing on their end to resolve this, so if you all are putting in overtime in regards to audio drops, please accept my apologies, but i truly do feel that this issue is not getting the attention it deserves.
bdkennedy1
Enlightened

Post by bdkennedy1 »

Anamorphic on or off didn't make a difference on my DVD's.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

bdkennedy1 wrote:Anamorphic on or off didn't make a difference on my DVD's.
note i said i took the resolution down to 640x... i did not limit myself to non-anamorphic.

i would recomend you try again and take the resolution down to 640, if that doesnt work , try 320...

not that you would want to encode at that size, but just for testing purposes it would be interesting to see your results.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

loyalty_anchored wrote:
1- internal MBP drive -> ripped MTR 2.6.6 -> main feature mode -> audio dropped.
2- internal MBP drive -> ripped MTR 2.6.6 -> full disk mode -> audio dropped.
3- external Pioneer-DVR111 -> ripped MTR 2.6.6 -> main feature mode -> audio dropped.
4- external Pioneer-DVR111 -> ripped MTR 2.6.6 -> full disk mode -> audio dropped.

...audio was intact and did not drop. this was still being tested in the GUI. can someone please even begin to explain this to me?
This is a perfect example of what not to post. In all the solutions posted, never was using MTR 2.6.6 part of the solution. So your "test" were doomed from the begining. All you really proved was the fact that version was indeed what not to use. Unfortuanly, this will only confuse the uninitiated. Then you talk about a Windows 'solution'...
loyalty_anchored wrote:having said this, i do very strongly believe that there are multiple reasons why audio is dropping and all audio drops people are experiencing are not the same.
This too was also stated before...by those Developers that you think aren't giving enough attention to the issue!
loyalty_anchored wrote:i hope this little recap of my experience with audio drops helps someone resolve this issue, which i feel has become a huge show stopper. if i were a dev and had the knowledge they do, i would not bother developing little nick nacks until this very big issue which is hitting HandBrakes reliability as an encoder was resolved.
If you were a developer, I think you would then understand why your post didn't mean much the first time. futhermore, understand why this isn't so much of HB's "problem."
loyalty_anchored wrote:i know some will say its not HB, its the ripper, the drive ... but using the exact same video_ts with another encoder does not result in an audio drops elsewhere, i think this is a pretty solid sign that x264/HB needs to be looked at in depth.
...and some (you) will say its HB, because your bogus test proved useless.
loyalty_anchored wrote:i love HB, and x264... but its reliability has pushed me to go to another solution for my encoding needs. i certainly hope that this issue gets resolved. i do not know how much work the DEVs are doing on their end to resolve this, so if you all are putting in overtime in regards to audio drops, please accept my apologies, but i truly do feel that this issue is not getting the attention it deserves.
Ok, so its just the biggest thread on this forum for lack of attention?! I'm sure jbrjake and dynaflash are going to love you...
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Cavalicious wrote: This is a perfect example of what not to post. In all the solutions posted, never was using MTR 2.6.6 part of the solution. So your "test" were doomed from the begining. All you really proved was the fact that version was indeed what not to use. Unfortuanly, this will only confuse the uninitiated. Then you talk about a Windows 'solution'...
can you explain to me exactly why you think this is a good example of what not to post? what solution are you talking about? from what i know, dynaflash only uses MTR 2.6.6 in full disk mode and has never experienced an audio drop. MTR 2.6.6 has no problems at all and is pretty solid, i believe you are talking about it not doing well with 0 cell movies and the more current protection. but did you even bother to ask me what DVD i used in my testing?

furthermore i am not sure why you refer to my ripping the DVD with AnyDVD as a 'solution', i was not providing a solution, as we all know, AnyDVD is always the most up to date and best DVD ripping solution out there, you can ask any DEV here and i am pretty sure they will agree. The reason why i would rip with AnyDVD and test in HB is to stop people from blaming MTR for the audio drop.
Cavalicious wrote: If you were a developer, I think you would then understand why your post didn't mean much the first time. futhermore, understand why this isn't so much of HB's "problem."
can you please explain how the audio drop is not something HB should be working on? i would love to hear this. many users report that the same VIDEO_TS ripped to the hard drive, will drop in HB and will not drop in other encoding software. if you are saying that authoring studios should do their job differently so that HB doesn choke... enough said.
Cavalicious wrote: ...and some (you) will say its HB, because your bogus test proved useless.
is this statement your ego speaking? why are you so protective of HB? did you put countless hours developing the software?
Cavalicious wrote: Ok, so its just the biggest thread on this forum for lack of attention?! I'm sure jbrjake and dynaflash are going to love you...
first of all, i have no need for developers to love me, i always tell them how much i appreciate their hard work and you have no need to be talking on behalf of anyone else but your own. i dont see how a thread like this one being so long has anything to do with the amount of attention the DEVs are paying to it. if you count the ratio of posts in this thread done by users vs DEVs i think you will understand what i am trying to say.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

loyalty_anchored wrote:can you explain...
In lueue of hijacking my own thread...No. There are enough posts "explaining" many of your questions.

Since you found a better soltion, you ought not care for an explanation anyway.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Cavalicious wrote: Since you found a better solution, you ought not care for an explanation anyway.
what solution are you speaking of? i never ever said i have a solution to the audio drop issue in HandBrake!

if i have, i would like to be quoted.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

loyalty_anchored wrote:what solution are you speaking of? i never ever said i have a solution to the audio drop issue in HandBrake!

if i have, i would like to be quoted.
Now you're just trying to back track...I never said you had a solution for us (those who will continue to use HB).
loyalty_anchored wrote:i love HB, and x264... but its reliability has pushed me to go to another solution for my encoding needs.
Let me translate you own quote for you:

"I've had NoAud issues with HandBrake. I have another solution for me for my encoding needs that has better reliability for me.

At this point, please address no more posts for me to answer, as I am done responding to your trivial questions (or feeble attempt to backtrack).

Besides, we wouldn't want to "ratio of Developers -to- Users" post to increase. Just in case someone uses that logic to measure "interest."
:roll:
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

its all good cava, handbrake is the [Censored], but audio drops need to go!

:wink:
sidechain

Post by sidechain »

FWIW I am not getting any Audio Drops in Visual Hub. So it's software not hardware. Some work in 0.71 but most still fail
jdmuys

Me too on unprotected DVD

Post by jdmuys »

I read only part of the topic history, so maybe my post is a duplicate.

I have the audio drop on un unprotected DVD. The DVD is from a set-top DVD recorder (Sony brand). It was recorded from an old VHS tape, but that should not matter (and the quality of the video is rather poor).

I then ripped that DVD with MTR 2.6.6, and used HB on the ripped VIDEO_TS folder. I used the AppleTV preset, then modified to "target size 700MB".

The point is: I can provide a copy of the DVD if wanted. There is no copyright issue.

Another thing: I was puzzled once when HB went through a DVD absolutely fine, but the output file was nowhere to be found. It turned out that I had set the ouput file to a directory I had not the permission to write, only to read. That makes sens... except that HB never complained. Would it be useful to add a lot of sanity check to HB? Maybe the audio issue is also one where some system failure is not checked? [or maybe not. I have absolutely no credential to think anything, or otherwise...]

Best,

Jean-Denis
Laureon

Missing Audio

Post by Laureon »

Sorry to jump into a convo, I'm very new year but I thought this would be the best place to try and fix some of my audio issues. Yes I did read the FAQ.

Over the past few day I've been trying to rip a DVD for my iPod. Results were as follows:

Trail One - DVD to Handbrake --> No Audio Whatsoever

Media/DVD: Howl's Moving Castle (2006)
File Format: MP4 file
Codecs: MP4 Video / AAV Audio
Framerate: Same as source
Encoder: x264 iPod
Average bitrate: 1200

Trail Two - DVD thru MTR to Handbrake --> No Audio Whatsoever

Media/DVD: Howl's Moving Castle (2006)
File Format: MP4 file
Codecs: AVC/H.264 Video / AAC Audio
Framerate: Same as source
Encoder: x264 iPod
Average bitrate: 1200

Second time round I changed the Codecs hoping that it would work. Unfortunately, no such luck.

Burning the individual previews however worked beautifully, which makes me think that its a protection issue. Shouldn't MTR have taken care of that though?

Any help about how to get around this would be greately appreciated. Tonight I'm going to let Titanic run through and see if it goes any better.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Laureon,

I commend you of your efforts to include as much detail as possible. There are a couple of things though:

1. Which Version of MTR are you using?
2. How are you ripping with MTR (Full Disk or Main Title).

Also, MTR will not necessary get rid of protection schemes, but bypass them to a point. I suggest:

MTR 3r14d (if your DVD is riddled with "security")
Full Disk Extraction /w MTR
Run that folder through DVD2One2 (and remove any Zero Duration and/or Zero Cells) EDIT ...then export movie only

Once done, then you should have something stable to work with. As I don't encode for an iPod, I can only suggest you use the iPod Preset.

There are plenty on this board that do encode for their iPods, so I would suggest reading/asking those who frequent the iPod/AppleTV forum, for encoding options.
jdmuys

not only

Post by jdmuys »

Since this issue *also* occurs on my unprotected DVDs, it is unlikely to be related to protection.

Unless there are two different issues with the same symptoms.

We are having a hard time relating input parameters to the problem. This is a nasty one.

JD
Cavalicious

Re: not only

Post by Cavalicious »

jdmuys wrote:Since this issue *also* occurs on my unprotected DVDs, it is unlikely to be related to protection.

Unless there are two different issues with the same symptoms.

We are having a hard time relating input parameters to the problem. This is a nasty one.

JD
Yes, it has been said there could be multiple things causing the issue, but most here centers around Bad Mastering. Bad Mastering doesn't equal Protection Scheme. Protection Scheme equals Bad Mastering (in most cases). Also, just because you have a home movie transcoded to DVD (Unprotected), doesn't mean the Mastering is perfect.
Laureon

Post by Laureon »

Sorry for the late reply.

Right now I'm using MTR 2.6.6 with Full Disk Extration...

Looking into DVDone2x has been on my to-do list for awhile, thought I'm still slightly confused about what it does outside of compression.
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

Cavalicious wrote:Laureon,

I commend you of your efforts to include as much detail as possible. There are a couple of things though:

1. Which Version of MTR are you using?
2. How are you ripping with MTR (Full Disk or Main Title).

Also, MTR will not necessary get rid of protection schemes, but bypass them to a point. I suggest:

MTR 3r14d (if your DVD is riddled with "security")
Full Disk Extraction /w MTR
Run that folder through DVD2One2 (and remove any Zero Duration and/or Zero Cells) EDIT ...then export movie only

Once done, then you should have something stable to work with. As I don't encode for an iPod, I can only suggest you use the iPod Preset.

There are plenty on this board that do encode for their iPods, so I would suggest reading/asking those who frequent the iPod/AppleTV forum, for encoding options.
I believe that MTR 3r14d now does the zero cell removal for you, so DVD2OneX is no longer required for that purpose.

Cheers, Ed.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

eddyg wrote:I believe that MTR 3r14d now does the zero cell removal for you, so DVD2OneX is no longer required for that purpose.

Cheers, Ed.
This is not an option (nor done automatically) for Full Disk Extraction in any version of MTR.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Laureon wrote:Sorry for the late reply.

Right now I'm using MTR 2.6.6 with Full Disk Extration...

Looking into DVDone2x has been on my to-do list for awhile, thought I'm still slightly confused about what it does outside of compression.
In this scenario, it allows you to drill down and remove unwanted things within the DVD. Once exported, your new folder will look just like a ripped DVD minus what you took out.
helixomnimedia

Post by helixomnimedia »

AAAGGGHHH :evil:

I've just let HandBrake run for 14 hours encoding The Devil Wears Prada, and 3min into the film the audio just disappears in the middle of the opening scene.

This happened a couple of days ago with Pirates of the Caribbean 2, it never happened before so i thought it was the DVD, so I bought a new copy of the movie, and the same things happened at the exact some scene down to the same second, the audio disappears.

Pirates - is R2 encoding from the drive.
Devil - is R1, used MacTheRipper onto HD and encoded from there.

This sucks! This sucks! This sucks!
There has to be a way to sort this problem.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Your could have started by reading the Thread "READ ME if a specific DVD/Movie won't rip"

Both of your Movies are on the List, thus you should run through the process in the 1st post of this Thread.
Laureon

Post by Laureon »

DVDone2X did the trick! Ran it through HB after that and the audio works beautifully.

Thanks for the advice Cavalicious.