No valid title found

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Theora23

No valid title found

Post by Theora23 »

I just got a new MacBook Pro today and installed the latest non-beta iteration of Handbrake on it. Every single disc I try to rip gives me a result of "No valid title found", even with DVDs that I have successfully ripped before on my old iBook. Do I need a different build?
baggss

Post by baggss »

Make sure you have the appropriate box checked. I.E make sure the button for Detected Volume is checked vice the one next to DVD/Folder image if your looking for a DVD.
Theora23

Post by Theora23 »

I checked the Detected Volume button. It selects the disc, scans through the chapters, and then concludes that there is no valid title.

Also, this morning I was able to rip from a non-commercial disc just fine.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Just for grins, assuming you are on a Mac, with HB closed find and delete the following file:

org.m0k.handrake.plist

Then try again.
golias
Enlightened

Post by golias »

Theora23 wrote:I checked the Detected Volume button. It selects the disc, scans through the chapters, and then concludes that there is no valid title.

Also, this morning I was able to rip from a non-commercial disc just fine.
Some of the newer DVDs have goofy copy-protection which HB has not completely caught up with yet.

Instead of converting files directly from the disk, try ripping a disk image with MacTheRipper (if version 2.6.6 doesn't rip it, you may need to donate to their project to get the version 3 beta), and see if you can run HB against the VIDEO-TS file you end up with. I've often found this to be a work-around that helps.

This has the added benefit of not constantly reading from the DVD drive while HB is doing the conversion.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

I'm having the same problem.

I have a MacBook Pro (core 2 duo, 17") running 10.4.8, and have tried Handbrake 0.7.1, and MediaFork 0.8.0b1, and neither program can rip any DVD that I have tried (Cars, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica). I always get "no valid title found".

I even tried from a VIDEO_TS ripped from the Cars DVD using MTR. In this case, HandBrake crashed and MediaFork saya "no valid titles found".

This is the first time that I've tried either program. The first step seems pretty hard to get wrong, so I don't think it's a pilot error.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like to start archiving my DVD collection in preparation for Apple TV.
baggss

Post by baggss »

sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

baggss wrote:Cars is on the Known Zero Cell Movie List.
Ok. I didn't know of such an issue, so I guess that explains Cars. Perhaps Star Wars and BG have the same issue?

I'm trying Gladiator now, and that seems to be ripping fine with MediaFork. So I guess Handbrake/MediaFork cannot handle all DVDs, eh?
baggss

Post by baggss »

None of the Star Wars movies do, or at least didn't. I ripped all 6 movies just fine with HB 0.7.1.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

I'm not having much success with MF. Of five random movies, only one ripped directly from DVD (Gladiator).

Superman Returns only ripped 25 minutes of the movie before stopping, and reporting "done" (no error). I told it to rip all available chapters (1-41).

What symptom would I see if the movie had the Zero Cell issue? Would it just be "no valid title found", or would partial rips happen too?
baggss

Post by baggss »

Both tend to be signs of the zero cell issue. I believe it depends on where the cells are located.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

This just in... MTR is having difficulty ripping the Superman Returns DVD too. At about the 34 minute mark, the DVD seems to fall into a weird read pattern (which you can hear... a wind-up, drive stutter, wind down, repeat), that it never recovers from. MTR appears to hang.

Being new to this stuff, I don't know what this symptom means.
baggss

Post by baggss »

If you leave MTR alone when it hangs, it will eventually finish and tell you there were errors. You can then use DTOX to go remove the zero cells and re-master the Video_TS folder, then feed that back to MF/HB.

What you are seeing is exactly what I have seen when I run into the Zero Cell issue.

Pretty much anything newish from Sony or Disney has this issue btw.
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

Ok, well it sounds like we can add Superman Returns to the Zero Cell list.

Thanks.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Already done! ;)