M4V files become corrupted after tagging

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bdkennedy1
Enlightened

M4V files become corrupted after tagging

Post by bdkennedy1 »

Did something change in 0.9.3 with the way chapters are written?

I have several M4V files I encoded with 0.9.3 and then ran them through MetaX. I noticed that I had tagged some of the files wrong so I reran them through MetaX again to change the tags. When MetaX was done, I opened the file in Quicktime and there was no picture or sound and the chapter names were all gibberish. Thinking maybe it was a problem with MetaX, I used Lostify and Atomic Parsley and got the same results.

To test this, I used a file that was encoded with HandBrake 0.9.2 and the file survived.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: M4V files become corrupted after tagging

Post by s55 »

I believe there is an update for metax coming that will solve this, when the developer can find some time.
westbeverly

Post by westbeverly »

Interestingly, even if you try to do a re-tag with Lostify (of an original Metax-tagged file) you lose the video.
REBELinBLUE

Post by REBELinBLUE »

Has anyone had any luck in resolving this issue and recovering videos that have been damaged because of it?

Does anyone even know what causes it because videos I encode with Visualhub don't have this problem, only those encoded with Handbrake. I ripped a DVD with only 1 audio track and no chapter markers to see if that helped but it made no difference.
bdkennedy1
Enlightened

Post by bdkennedy1 »

Well, since I upgraded my version of MetaX I haven't had a problem.