0.9.3 Completely Broken for Me

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
eyz

0.9.3 Completely Broken for Me

Post by eyz »

As some other users experienced, 0.9.3 is completely broken for me. It doesn't rip any DVDs, including the ones I was able to handle with 0.9.2 with no problem at all. The pictures are completely garbled in preview and encoding always crashes the app. Yes, I do have the latest VLC installed. Regardless of the cause, this is a huge disappointment. Over the years, I've always maintained that Handbrake is one of the best apps for Mac. I really hope there's a fix!!!!
Last edited by eyz on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jzietman
Enlightened

Re: 0.9.3 Completely Broken for Me

Post by jzietman »

Have you tried uninstalling Handbrake using something like appzapper to delete all associated files, then reinstalling it?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Which version of VLC? And where is it installed?

For it to work with Handbrake, it must be version 0.9.2+ and it must be installed in /Applications, not in ~/Applications... no subfolders either.
paulbear13

Post by paulbear13 »

Yes, the same for me. Audio and Picture and scrambled. Can't use it now. The worst thing it updated my copy of handbrake 0.9.2. So I don't have that and can't find it to download anywhere. All I can download is 0.9.3 which doesn't work on my mac. Can anybody help?

G5 Quad core running 10.5.4
asciilogic

Post by asciilogic »

Mine crashes on some DVDs...I had to switch back to 0.9.2.
As a sidenote...it's a good thing I saved the dmg file for this...cuz it seems like 0.9.2 (as of the time of this post) isn't in the downloads section any longer.
rondo

Post by rondo »

Tried with 3 different DVDs...
Takes up to 15 minutes to recognize all the source files on a DVD instead of the previous 1-2.
Even though mp4 is selected, it makes the file extension mk4.
Crashed with one DVD that worked with 0.9.2.
Files are unwatchable in Quicktime, VLC, iTunes and Divx.

Intel Mac Mini. 10.5.5 OSX. Did not have .9 VLC installed (.8.6). Will update after installing .9 VLC.

Link where 0.9.2 can be downloaded - http://www.brothersoft.com/handbrake-for-mac-68296.html
Last edited by rondo on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

rondo wrote:Tried with 3 different DVDs...
Takes up to 15 minutes to recognize all the source files on a DVD instead of the previous 1-2.
Files are unwatchable in Quicktime, VLC and iTunes.

Link where 0.9.2 can be downloaded - http://www.brothersoft.com/handbrake-for-mac-68296.html
Or, you all could try and help solve the problems and help everyone...

And buddy, M4V == MP4 with a different file extension. I bet you had AC3 and/or chapters enabled. M4V extension is required by Quicktime to recognize the chapters.
shaito storm

Post by shaito storm »

yep update doesn't run well at all unfortunately...on a recently bought mac pro (8core). oops!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

shaito storm wrote:yep update doesn't run well at all unfortunately...on a recently bought mac pro (8core). oops!
works as expected on my mbp core duo and iMac core 2 duo...
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I'd say it's working as well as ever. Seeing 150fps here on x264 and over 400fps on ffmpeg. Encodes coming out as expected.

There is a reason it's not performing as expected. Nobody has posted the requested information, so I dunno what you expect us to say. (notice red box above)
rondo

Post by rondo »

nightstrm wrote:
rondo wrote:Tried with 3 different DVDs...
Files are unwatchable in Quicktime, VLC, Divx and iTunes.

Or, you all could try and help solve the problems and help everyone...

And buddy, M4V == MP4 with a different file extension. I bet you had AC3 and/or chapters enabled. M4V extension is required by Quicktime to recognize the chapters.
UPDATE:
Installed VLC 9 and reinstalled 0.9.3 and it seems to be working perfectly - was able to rip/decode a part of Ken Burns' "War" documentary. Video looks good and audio is synced.
lone_tree
Experienced

Post by lone_tree »

s55 wrote:I'd say it's working as well as ever. Seeing 150fps here on x264 and over 400fps on ffmpeg. Encodes coming out as expected.

There is a reason it's not performing as expected. Nobody has posted the requested information, so I dunno what you expect us to say. (notice red box above)
What machine do you have running that fast? That's incredible!

0.9.3 is working perfectly for me as well. Obviously it's user error of some sort (incorrect permissions, wrong VLC version, etc) for those who can't get it to work. The "garbled picture" he mentioned makes VLC the immediate suspect.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Just a Q6600@3.0Ghz.