Updated to 0.9.3 and now no DVD's Rip???

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
noodlez914

Updated to 0.9.3 and now no DVD's Rip???

Post by noodlez914 »

All I did was update to 0.9.3 and when i select my source (DVD) it just says scanning title 1 of .......
I have tried 3 different DVD's so its not that. Before the update I never had problems.
Was there something more I am suppossed to do? I even restarted my comp.
tezgno

Re: Updated to 0.9.3 and now no DVD's Rip???

Post by tezgno »

This is probably due to the fact that Handbrake no longer includes dvdcss libraries (as mentioned on the homepage). In other words, the new Handbrake does not decrypt DVDs anymore. However, if you are using a Mac, you can still decrypt your DVDs with Handbrake... you'll just need to install VLC.
dulstone

Post by dulstone »

I had the same problem and had VLC installed. It was however an old version and when I installed the new version of VLC, Handbrake sprung into action rather than hanging on the scan.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

dulstone wrote:I had the same problem and had VLC installed. It was however an old version and when I installed the new version of VLC, Handbrake sprung into action rather than hanging on the scan.
Hehe, hence this part of the announcement:
We're not about to stop you from choosing to decrypt DVDs. If you're on a Mac, and you have VLC 0.9.x installed, you won't even notice the internal capability's gone.
jonro

Post by jonro »

I have VLC .9.6 installed and I'm having problems. The Hancock DVD stalls on chapter 39 using HB 0.9.3. However, it works fine using HB 0.9.2. I'm glad I didn't trash 0.9.2. Any suggestions?
lone_tree
Experienced

Post by lone_tree »

jonro wrote:I have VLC .9.6 installed and I'm having problems. The Hancock DVD stalls on chapter 39 using HB 0.9.3. However, it works fine using HB 0.9.2. I'm glad I didn't trash 0.9.2. Any suggestions?
Rip it first using MTR or Fairmount/DETOX. I've seen this so many times in the forum, and 99% of the time if it's first ripped to HDD it will work. Personally, I rarely do an encode straight from the DVD unless I'm just testing something out.
spliceguys

Post by spliceguys »

Is there any way to get 0.9.2 back on the site for download?
brilucben

Post by brilucben »

I am also having problems, I can rip the dvd, but it is completely scrambled. I noticed that my vlc was evidently really old, so I am in the process of downloading it, hopefully that works. Or is there another reason it isn't working?
babysarah

Post by babysarah »

I just downloaded 0.9.3 last night, and when I tried to scan the source of a DVD it prompted me to download VLC. So, I did. Everything appeared to work great. Then, when I tried to watch what I had ripped, all I get is most of the audio and a pixelated disaster on the screen. It doesn't even resemble anything close to the dvd. I've been using handbrake for years and I used the same format and everything. Do I need to change a setting somewhere? Or am I out of luck?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

The disc may have protection that VLC (and therefore the old HB support) cannot handle.
dnorton

Post by dnorton »

@babysarah,

I am having the exact same problem. I am getting a really pixelated and distorted video image on a DVD that worked fine for HB 0.9.2, and I installed the latest and greatest VLC before I started. I have not had time to troubleshoot the issue and won't until after the holidays. Let us know if you figure out a solution in the meantime.
babysarah

Post by babysarah »

I actually tried it out with a disc that I'd already ripped in 0.9.2. That way I'd know if the disc was the problem.
I will try to play around with it over the long weekend and see if I can figure it out.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Pathetic.

How difficult would it be for one of you to provide the activity log you *know* we require to provide support?

*Locking*