Encode plays chapters in incorrect order

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bdkennedy1
Enlightened

Re: Encode plays chapters in incorrect order

Post by bdkennedy1 »

Sorry, MacTheRipper Main Feature Extraction
tenstu

Post by tenstu »

bdkennedy1 wrote:Sorry, MacTheRipper Main Feature Extraction

Thanks - will try to replicate! Sorry to be a bother - but can you post which MTR version you used? Much appreciated!
tarheel

Post by tarheel »

spotkat wrote:Rip Title 30, not Chapter 30.

UPDATE - If you rip Title 30 in two parts (Chapters 1-15 and Chapters 16-33) individually, the audio and video are aligned properly. You can then use Quicktime or something similar to put them together. Again, rough, but it works.
Thanks, this worked perfectly. I used Quicktime to connect them and then "File-Export-Export As AppleTV"

Thanks again.
papillo

Post by papillo »

I had trouble using the VLC instructions with HandBrake; the instructions in the sticky topic didn't work on WALL-E. Although VLC correctly played the chapters in the correct order, and could quickly rip an MPEG TS file without any transcoding (so that HandBrake could handle the encoding), HandBrake wouldn't process the .ts file, apparently because it didn't like the A/52 audio track:

[02:26:05] macgui: trying to open video_ts folder (parent directory chosen)
[02:26:05] hb_scan: path=/Users/papillo/Desktop/Ripped Movies/vlc-output.ts, title_index=0
[02:26:05] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
[02:26:05] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
[02:26:05] file is MPEG Transport Stream with 188 byte packets offset 0 bytes
[02:26:05] hb_ts_stream_find_pids - found the following PIDS
[02:26:05] Video PIDS :
[02:26:05] 0x45 type MPEG2 (0x2)
[02:26:05] Audio PIDS :
[02:26:05] 0x45 type MPEG2 (0x2)
[02:26:05] hb_sample_pts: no PTS in video packet near 823832067
[02:26:05] hb_sample_pts: no PTS in video packet near 1482897721
[02:26:05] hb_sample_pts: no PTS in video packet near 2471496202
[02:26:05] hb_sample_pts: no PTS in video packet near 3130561856
[02:26:05] hb_sample_pts: no PTS in video packet near 3789627510
[02:26:05] hb_sample_pts: no PTS in video packet near 4448693164
[02:26:05] transport stream pid 0x45 (type 0x2, substream 0xe0) isn't audio
[02:26:05] scan: decoding previews for title 1
[02:26:05] scan: 10 previews, 720x480, 23.976 fps, autocrop = 58/62/0/0, aspect 16:9, PAR 32:27
[02:26:05] scan: ignoring title 1, no audio tracks found
[02:26:05] stream: 6 good frames, 0 errors (0%)
[02:26:05] libhb: scan thread found 0 valid title(s)
[02:26:05] macgui: ScanDone state received from fHandle

I got the audio format that VLC figured out from system.log:

Nov 29 01:58:26 MacBookPro [0x0-0x2ac2ac].org.videolan.vlc[10048]: [00000594] a52 packetizer: A/52 channels:6 samplerate:48000 bitrate:448000

Toast Titanium 9 did manage to read VLC's MPEG TS file and encode the movie correctly for iPods. But I still find HandBrake to be superior in its encoding flexibility, so I'd like to help see what's wrong with HandBrake's ability to read the VLC output file... does anyone have any idea? I suppose I might be missing a codec or something (though I've got Perian)...

For the record, most of my other attempts failed:

- Creating a new VIDEO_TS folder using Fairmount/DTOX didn't work. I stripped the zero cells, but then the chapters played in the wrong order, just like using HandBrake alone, even when using VLC to play back the VIDEO_TS folder.

- Every attempt to transcode directly from VLC failed; in particular, transcoding the audio to mp4a crashed VLC.

papillo the curious
RIPNHL2005

Post by RIPNHL2005 »

tarheel wrote:

UPDATE - If you rip Title 30 in two parts (Chapters 1-15 and Chapters 16-33) individually, the audio and video are aligned properly. You can then use Quicktime or something similar to put them together. Again, rough, but it works.
Thanks, this worked perfectly. I used Quicktime to connect them and then "File-Export-Export As AppleTV"

Thanks again.
Hello...I am new to Handbrake and have used it to rip several movies which worked fine until I did the same with WALL E, then popped it in for my kids and noticed the chapter problem.
I would like to try it again using the above instructions but how do I rip it in two parts individually and how to use quicktime to join them together?
Again I have only used default settings so far which worked until WALL E....

Thanks

Patrick
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

This is a very real problem that may come up over & over. Perhaps it should hit the faq in the wiki...
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

cvk_b wrote:This is a very real problem that may come up over & over. Perhaps it should hit the faq in the wiki...
Well, this is disk protection specific. Likely the stranges disk structure ever to come out. Not a Handbrake issue either (in fact HB 0.9.3 is the only thing I know of that will rip it in one step and play it through other than the vaunted anydvd).

There is a way to get Wall-E and the correct number of chapters.

Latest MTR, Full disk rip. Takes a while and will yield an almost 60GB file (so have room).
Go into the resulting VIDEO_TS folder and remove the BUP, IFO and VOB files for VTS_03 through VTS_06, and for VTS_08 through VTS_13, these are junk.

Now, run dtox main feature on the file set. Then HB 0.9.3 on that output. Voila, Wall-E with all 32 chapter markers in their correct locations.

Or, simply use HB straight away and it plays fine, there are just extra chapter markers which hurt nothing.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

For everyone's information, there are three different disks out there for region 1 that require different steps. What works for one disk isn't working for the other. The version I have could not be ripped with MTR and give you a working TS folder. Ditto the 'Fairtox' method. I had to drop a few dollars on the 'rip-it' app. Used rip-it, then fed it into DTOX and ended up finding title 9 was the only working title that also had the correct length AND chapters in the right order. I handbraked it, and the rest is history. Good luck to all.
tenstu

Post by tenstu »

dynaflash wrote:
cvk_b wrote:This is a very real problem that may come up over & over. Perhaps it should hit the faq in the wiki...
Well, this is disk protection specific. Likely the stranges disk structure ever to come out. Not a Handbrake issue either (in fact HB 0.9.3 is the only thing I know of that will rip it in one step and play it through other than the vaunted anydvd).

There is a way to get Wall-E and the correct number of chapters.

Latest MTR, Full disk rip. Takes a while and will yield an almost 60GB file (so have room).
Go into the resulting VIDEO_TS folder and remove the BUP, IFO and VOB files for VTS_03 through VTS_06, and for VTS_08 through VTS_13, these are junk.

Now, run dtox main feature on the file set. Then HB 0.9.3 on that output. Voila, Wall-E with all 32 chapter markers in their correct locations.

Or, simply use HB straight away and it plays fine, there are just extra chapter markers which hurt nothing.

Nope. Followed these instructions to the letter. Still out of order with the chapters. What title Set are you using with dtox? What cells for that title set are removed?? What we REALLY need here in this thread are some details - step by step - with all pertinent settings etc... Each solution found here lacks some exact detail.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

tenstu wrote:Nope. Followed these instructions to the letter. Still out of order with the chapters. What title Set are you using with dtox? What cells for that title set are removed??
30 as I recall. Oddly enough my kids watch it all of the time on my atv. So if it didn't work .....
Though some have claimed different structure for different dvd's of the same region. *shrugs* worked great for me, don't know what to tell you.
jzietman
Enlightened

Post by jzietman »

I'm pretty sure that I did a feature title rip using the latest beta of MTR and ripped title 30. My encode works perfectly. I may well have used DTOX, though...
tenstu

Post by tenstu »

Has anyone been able to get 5.1 passthru to work?
normd

Post by normd »

Patrick:

In the Quicktime help, it tells you how to combine two movies into one. You probably need to upgrade to QT Pro to do this.

To combine two movies:
In QuickTime Player, choose Edit > Select All to select the entire contents of the first movie.
Choose Edit > Copy, then open the second movie.
Move the playhead to the point at which you want to insert the movie (usually the very beginning or end of the original movie), and choose Edit > Paste.
Choose File > Save As to name and save the new movie.

Norm
RIPNHL2005 wrote:
tarheel wrote:

Thanks again.
Hello...I am new to Handbrake and have used it to rip several movies which worked fine until I did the same with WALL E, then popped it in for my kids and noticed the chapter problem.
I would like to try it again using the above instructions but how do I rip it in two parts individually and how to use quicktime to join them together?
Again I have only used default settings so far which worked until WALL E....

Thanks

Patrick
normd

Post by normd »

The instructions from spotcat earlier in this thread work To to make a usable copy of Wall*E:

spotkat:
"UPDATE - If you rip Title 30 in two parts (Chapters 1-15 and Chapters 16-33) individually, the audio and video are aligned properly. You can then use Quicktime or something similar to put them together. Again, rough, but it works."

I'd like to understand why this works instead of doing one big rip.

Some notes:
Exporting as Quicktime takes a long time - 5 hours on my 2.4Ghz dual 2 Core Intel Mac
Queuing up the second part in Handbrake after the first part is started makes it less of a pain.
Quicktime help tells you how to combine two movies into one under their Editing and Authoring section

Thanks to all for your help and thanks to bdkennedy1 for teaching me to use VNC to see where the titles started (Playback/TItles).
gorillapunch

Post by gorillapunch »

Thanks to everyone for all your help with WALL•E! It was killing me.

1 quick question.When combining the movies in Quicktime, is there a way to copy the chapters over also?
Somerse

Post by Somerse »

I've followed all the instructions listed here to the dot, but is it normal for your filesize to expand after the quicktime export? I had two 350 mb m4v files that I joined and they came out around a gig and a half.
reevescajr

Post by reevescajr »

RipIt will rip WALL-E, then HB can convert the VIDEO_TS. I read this somewhere and it works. It's a problem common to all the latest Disney DVDs.
squeaky72

Post by squeaky72 »

I tried the ripit programme and i managed to copy Wall.e however when i go to use HB and select the new ripped file HB Quits Why is it doing this

Squeak
squeaky72

Post by squeaky72 »

reevescajr wrote:RipIt will rip WALL-E, then HB can convert the VIDEO_TS. I read this somewhere and it works. It's a problem common to all the latest Disney DVDs.
It Works! however i found that when you select your source on HB that you go to Open Source (title specific ) because i found that opening it the standard way caused HB to quit unexpectedly

This works with WALL.E with no chapter mix ups

squeaky72