How-To: Automate DVD Backup w/ FairMount & HandBrake

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
craig1410

Re: How-To: Automate DVD Backup w/ FairMount & HandBrake

Post by craig1410 »

Hi,

First time poster so may I start by thanking you for providing these scripts - they have been most useful. :D

I think I may have come across a minor bug in the HandBrakeCLI-batch.sh script which was causing some of my movies to fail to encode. I believe I have tracked down the problem and can suggest a solution. Here are the lines in question:

Code: Select all

200         if [ $3 -gt 29 ];
201         then let trackTime=(10#$1*60)+10#$2+1
202         else let trackTime=(10#$1*60)+10#$2
You will note that I have added 10# before each of the parameters. This is required to avoid a situation where $1 or more likely $2 contains a number with a leading zero which is also greater than 07 (ie. 08 and 09). The leading zero makes bash assume this is an octal number but since octal only goes as high as 07 it will fail if you have a movie track with 08 or 09 minutes (eg. 2h08m). Much less likely for $1 to ever be 08 or 09 but might as well change it too. :)

By adding the 10# in front of each parameter it forces the number to be treated as base 10.

I hope some of you find this fix useful.

Kind regards,
Craig.
Terc

Post by Terc »

I'm baaack... Yeah, just finished college. As in, today. Now I've got tons of free time! Guess what that means? I'm going to be doing a little work on these scripts here, as well as create an installer. I've been working on nice bash scripts at work already, and I think I'm a bit more proficient than last time around. When I'm done, I'll post in a new thread so I don't get anyone confused about which is which.
PSUlion01

Post by PSUlion01 »

coggsburn wrote:Dunno what I'm doing wrong...

Annie Hall encoded using the above method returns an image size of 561x304 using the AppleTV preset. Using the Handbrake GUI, it says the output image will be 720x352 with the same AppleTV preset.

Any thoughts as to why this would happen?
Bump on this... I just encoded a few episodes of House and had the same thing happen using the Universal preset, totally unmodified. In the GUI my output file was 629x352, but using the CLI my file was 543x304. Frustrating... Anyone have any ideas? Going to run another episode and see if the logs tell the tale...
scgf

Post by scgf »

I have successfully implemented these scripts but am wondering what happens the next time the iCal event occurs - if I haven't got round to clearing the BatchRip folder will the Handbrake conversion process repeat on the next iCal event and duplicate the whole conversion process? If so, what would need to be added to the script to delete the files/folders in BatchRip and BatchRip2?

Cheers - and thanks for all the hard work, mac.jedi.
swpowe

Post by swpowe »

Has anyone seen this error?

line 201: let: trackTime=(00*60)+08: value too great for base (error token is "08")
Will encode the following tracks: 1

While using the provided scripts, I've encountered this on a few of my movies. Just wondering what it's trying to tell me. Thanks!
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

bash interprets 08 as octal base - the script needs to be modified to strip leading zeroes from typeless variables that can be inferred as type string.

Rodney
nixta

Post by nixta »

Apologies if this has been raised before. I've scanned the replies, but might have missed it.

Anyway, I think it ought to be pointed out in the instructions that you can only use the preset profiles by default. HandbrakeCLI doesn't read custom profiles.

I spent a long time working out why my encodings were running so quickly and were all such crap quality no matter which custom settings I was using! Turns out I wasn't using custom settings at all. Probably just Normal.

If you use the SVN build there is a scripts/manicure.rb Ruby script that will translate a Handbrake custom profile into a set of arguments that can be passed in from the batchEncode.scpt.

It's all rather irritating. It's stated that HandbrakeCLI is OS-independent so it shouldn't read the plist file that stores the custom settings, but that's just lazy. Use some compiler directives to conditionally compile the extra logic if need be.
nixta

Post by nixta »

Oh lordy, it's even more fun than I had imagined!

Looking at the source code for HandbrakeCLI, the presets are hard-coded! Not even as constant definitions or resource indexed, but hard-coded for name and parameters!

if (!strcmp(preset_name, "iPhone & iPod Touch"))
{
	mux = HB_MUX_MP4;
	vcodec = HB_VCODEC_X264;
	job->vquality = 0.589999973773956;
	job->crf = 1;
	if( !atracks )
	{
		atracks = strdup("1");
	}
	if( !abitrates )
	{
		abitrates = strdup("128");
	}
	if( !arates )
	{
		arates = strdup("48");
	}
	if( !acodecs )
	{
		acodecs = strdup("faac");
	}
	if( !mixdowns )
	{
		mixdowns = strdup("dpl2");
	}
	maxWidth = 480;
	if( !x264opts )
	{
		x264opts = strdup("level=30:cabac=0:ref=2:mixed-refs:analyse=all:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1");
	}
	job->chapter_markers = 1;
}
Obvs a relic of early days of development. I feel the pain so I'm not going to knock it too much :wink: but the point is mostly that it means it's really hard to keep the default GUI profiles in sync with the HandbrakeCLI profiles, so I wouldn't be at all surprised should people see some discrepancies.

It seems to me that the best way to work around this (and apologies to the non-techies, but this uses the SVN Build-It-Yourself version of Handbrake) is to create and manage your profiles in the GUI version of Handbrake, and then use the SVN's "scripts/manicure.rb" Ruby script to generate the parameters for this excellent procedure's BatchScripts/batchEncode.scpt file so you might end up with something like:

property encodeSettings : "-e x264 -b 1500 -a 1 -E faac -B 160 -R Auto -6 stereo -f mp4 -X 704 -Y 480 --decomb -p -m -2 -T -x ref=2:bframes=2:me=umh:merange=24"
Of course, I suspect that could all be automated too, although by default I think that the manicure.rb script requires the plist ruby gem which doesn't seem to be in the default Leopard install (Note, I could have that wrong since I've only ever used Ruby once, to set this up).

Anyone know whether the manicure.rb script could be installed without Handbrake SVN as a whole? I'd guess yes, but I haven't tried it and my machine isn't what I'd call clean now with respect to this...
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

You're really derailing this thread by turning it into an extended rant about the preset system.

Short version: I eagerly await your patch.

Long version: No one who is using the CLI should need to use a preset. Built-in presets exist solely for GUI n00bs. I added them to the CLI as a convenience, nothing more. And there's no reason for the CLI to have custom presets since it is, after all, a CLI and as such is eminently scriptable to your heart's content.

I don't have a clue what you mean about it being difficult keeping them in sync. The CLI code itself is autogenerated by manicure. It's not like I'm going through and manually recoding the CLI presets for every release.

No, the plist gem is not installed in Leopard by default, but it is clearly listed as a requirement at the top of the script and it takes what, five seconds to sudo gem install it? Using it allowed me to drastically reduce the amount of code the script needed.

The script doesn't depend on the svn trunk. It reads text and outputs to stdout. It will run on any OS. I hard code the input text location to the MacGui's plist location as a convenience since I'm the only one who uses the script on a regular basis, but it could be edited to use any arbitrary location.

BTW, the innards of the script are also useful for running a Mac CLI scripting frontend that uses the same presets a user has customized in their copy of the MacGui...
Last edited by jbrjake on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified point about manicure working without the trunk.
fatalspore

Post by fatalspore »

Hello :)

Just like to say, i've got everything working fine on my first attempt, however I do have some questions.

My internal Hard drive is extremely limited and I can't do a huge batch of movies in a row without filling it up, I have a 1.5 TB External Hard Drive constantly hooked up, and I was wondering if you could help me get FairMount to use that hard drive instead. I'm having trouble with the file path that i would be linking it to,

I've tried ~/localhost/Volumes/External/BatchRip

But i can't seem to figure out how to overwrite my computers desire to start at the root. It always just creates a new ~/localhost/Volumes/External/BatchRip inside /Users/Trevor/

I know you mentioned it would be much easier to do this on an internal drive, but I'm not one for easy, not if hard is remotely graspable!

Thank you, Trevor
fatalspore

Post by fatalspore »

Hello, I have everything working fine, but what I need now is to have the FairMount script directing it's output file to my external hard drive, however I am having some trouble digging up the correct file path.

(The reason for this is that I just don't have enough room on my internal hard drive to do a large sequence of DVD ripping)

I've tried different variations of /Volumes/External/Movies/BatchRip, however it is going through the root first, and thus creating a new file in my /users,

What Am I doing wrong, thank you :)
dookie67

Post by dookie67 »

Hello, thanks to everyone for the wonder scripts and all.

I'm new to macs, the automator, and handbrake. My question is: Is it very advantageous to rip a dvd onto your hard drive first? Handbrake can rip and encode a dvd at the same time right? Would there be a way to modify the scripts so that I could just pop a dvd in before going to bed and have handbrake rip and encode on it's own without the other program? Sorry if I'm a silly noob way out in left field with this. Thanks!
polkaholga

Post by polkaholga »

Hi,

i'm new to handbrake and this forum.
I'm really happy i found this site and especially this thread. That will help me to backup my large library which i postponed for a very long time. I did everything as mentioned in the 1st post and this works from scratch ( except the growl stuff ) !!!

BIG THANKS TO MAC.JEDI !!! You did a great job !!! :D

Only thing left, is to get the growl script running. I don't know much about scripting, but after todays experience i'm ready to dig deeper...
Maybe i just have some wrong property settings and it'll be a quick fix. I'll post it here.

thanks again

polkaholga

EDIT:
Growl's working too now, just had the wrong settings. :roll:
polkaholga

Post by polkaholga »

dookie67 wrote:Hello, thanks to everyone for the wonder scripts and all.

I'm new to macs, the automator, and handbrake. My question is: Is it very advantageous to rip a dvd onto your hard drive first? Handbrake can rip and encode a dvd at the same time right? Would there be a way to modify the scripts so that I could just pop a dvd in before going to bed and have handbrake rip and encode on it's own without the other program? Sorry if I'm a silly noob way out in left field with this. Thanks!
I'm new to tis too, so i hope one of the devs will correct me if say something stupid. :mrgreen:

As i understand, you can do this only with the CLI version of HB (+ Fairmount & VLC ). There's no need for Growl, unless you want to be notified when processing is finished.
When everything is set up you just make 1 event in iCal that starts the encode script after Fairmount is finished ( takes around 40 min on my MBP ) and your done.

EDIT: ( no iCal needed !! )

Combine the rip & encode batches as a workflow in Automator

polkaholga
bajadahl

Post by bajadahl »

Hello All,

I just upgraded my system to snow leopard and noticed that these scripts no longer work. It's been a while since I tried them and have been through a few Leopard updates since then I guess. Bottom line is that the script has this tell command:

tell application "System Events" to set DVDs to name of disks whose capacity is less than 8.589934592E+9

The script now picks up the /net and /home automount Filesystems as Disk 1 and Disk 2 of the script and never gets to the actual DVD. This wasn't happening a few months ago but I'm not quite sure what changed. Not sure if the automounts are new or a UNIX command that tell system events what a filesystem is has changed. Anyway, below is the df showing the file systems and the slight modification I made to make it work again.

Here's a df showing the 0 sum Filesystems:
macl01-2:etc root# df -k
Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2 195025072 159679476 35089596 82% /
devfs 113 113 0 100% /dev
map -hosts 0 0 0 100% /net
map auto_home 0 0 0 100% /home
/dev/disk1s1 488384000 446954468 41429532 92% /Volumes/Music
/dev/disk2s1 488384000 386798472 101585528 80% /Volumes/Photo Disk
/dev/disk4 7875236 7875236 0 100% /Volumes/PIRATES_OF_THE_CARRIBEAN

A simple change of the script appears to correct the problem. And please forgive me. I am no expert in apple script. Just figured it out with a little trial and error.

tell application "System Events" to set DVDs to name of disks whose capacity is less than 8.589934592E+9 and capacity is greater than 0

This tell command makes it skip the /net and /home automounts and go straight to the DVD.

Here is the output of script editor before the change:
tell application "System Events"
get name of every disk whose capacity < 8.589934592E+9
--> {"net", "home", "PIRATES_OF_THE_CARRIBEAN"} <------ Notice it is trying to grab /net and /home, as well as the PiratesMovie
end tell
tell current application
do shell script "mkdir -p ~/Movies/BatchRip"
--> ""
do shell script "mkdir -p ~/Movies/BatchRip2"
--> ""
do shell script "ditto '/net' ~/Movies/BatchRip/net &> /dev/null & ditto '/home' ~/Movies/BatchRip2/home"
--> ""
do shell script "chmod -R 755 ~/Movies/BatchRip/net"
--> ""
do shell script "chmod -R 755 ~/Movies/BatchRip2/home"
--> ""
end tell
tell application "FairMount"
quit
--> error number 0
end tell

Here it is with the correction:
tell application "System Events"
get name of every disk whose capacity < 8.589934592E+9 and capacity > 0
--> {"PIRATES_OF_THE_CARRIBEAN"}
end tell
tell current application
do shell script "mkdir -p ~/Movies/BatchRip"
--> ""
do shell script "ditto '/Volumes/PIRATES_OF_THE_CARRIBEAN' ~/Movies/BatchRip/PIRATES_OF_THE_CARRIBEAN" <---- Currently Still running but at least it is actually grabbing the correct disk again
winston

Post by winston »

@bajadahl

hey thanks for your help trying to help correct the new snow leopard issues... although, i dont follow what you are saying. Could you please elaborate which script you are working on. Also if anyone has a corrected "batchRip" script that works with snow leopard, let me know.

Thanks!

The W
bajadahl

Post by bajadahl »

@winston

Sorry, my previous post was sloppy (I was just happy that I figured out my problem guess)

The script I was working on is the "batchRip.scpt" script. I opened it in script editor and made the following changes.

First I ripped out growl due to known issues with it on Snow Leopard.

-- Setup Growl Support: Set useGrowl to yes and set the path to the GrowlNotifyLib.scpt.
property useGrowl : yes -- If you have growl, set to yes. Default is no.
To:
-- Setup Growl Support: Set useGrowl to yes and set the path to the GrowlNotifyLib.scpt.
property useGrowl : no -- If you have growl, set to yes. Default is no.

Then I changed the line that tells system events which disks to grab for the rip from:

tell application "System Events" to set DVDs to name of disks whose capacity is less than 8.589934592E+9
to
tell application "System Events" to set DVDs to name of disks whose capacity is less than 8.589934592E+9 and capacity is greater than 0

Here is the script with my modifications: (again I have ripped out growl due to know issues but I hardly used it so I probably wouldn't put it back in when a growl update is available)

---------- BatchRip.scpt ----------
---------- Updated: 01-22-2009 ----------

(* This script opens DVDs with FairMount and copies them to a destination folder with a ditto shell script. This script includes support for dual DVD drives installed in a Mac Pro, if two disks are inserted. This script also uses Growl to notify you when completed *)

global diskCount, dvd1Src, dvd1copy, dvd2src, dvd2copy

---------- Properties ----------

-- The output directory for all DVD files. Default is ~/Movies/BatchRip. This folder will be automatically created on first run.
property outputPath1 : "~/Movies/BatchRip"

-- Set ejectDisk to yes if you want your disk(s) to eject when completed. Default is no.
property ejectDisk : no

---------- Optional Properties ----------

-- Dual-Drive: If you have two DVD Drives, you can set a second output directory below to rip two disks at once. The default is ~/Movies/BatchRip2. This folder will be automatically created if 2 disks are mounted and the script is executed.
property outputPath2 : "~/Movies/BatchRip2"

property useGrowl : no -- If you have growl, set to yes. Default is no.
-- property growlTitle : "Batch Rip"
-- property growlLibraryPath : POSIX file "/Users/dahl/Movies/BatchScripts/GrowlNotifyLib.scpt" -- Set the path to the GrowlNotifyLib.scpt.

---------- Batch Script ----------

try
	tell application "FairMount" to launch
	delay 20
	countDisks()
	copyDisks()
	tell application "FairMount" to quit
end try

---------- Sub-routines ----------

on countDisks()
	try
		set diskCount to count of DVDs
		set dvd1Src to quoted form of (POSIX path of item 1 of DVDs)
		set dvd1copy to escapePath(outputPath1 & "/" & item 1 of DVDs)
		set dvd2src to quoted form of (POSIX path of item 2 of DVDs)
		set dvd2copy to escapePath(outputPath2 & "/" & item 2 of DVDs)
	end try
end countDisks

on escapePath(outputPath)
	set the search_string to " "
	set the replacement_string to "\\ "
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the " "
	set the text_item_list to every text item of the outputPath
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the replacement_string
	set the new_item_name to the text_item_list as string
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""
	set the outputPath to new_item_name
end escapePath

on copyDisks()
	if diskCount is less than 2 then
		mkDir(outputPath1)
		do shell script "ditto " & dvd1Src & " " & dvd1copy
		cleanUp(dvd1Src, dvd1copy)
	else
		mkDir(outputPath1)
		mkDir(outputPath2)
		do shell script "ditto " & dvd1Src & " " & dvd1copy & " &> /dev/null & " & "ditto " & dvd2src & " " & dvd2copy
		cleanUp(dvd1Src, dvd1copy)
		cleanUp(dvd2src, dvd2copy)
	end if
end copyDisks

on mkDir(outputPath)
	do shell script "mkdir -p " & escapePath(outputPath)
end mkDir

on cleanUp(dvd, dvdcopy)
	try
		do shell script "chmod -R 755 " & dvdcopy
		if ejectDisk is yes then do shell script "diskutil eject " & dvd
	end try
end cleanUp

---------- End Script ----------
winston

Post by winston »

@bajadahl

Thanks so much, ill have to give it a shot after work! i appreciate your time figuring this stuff out! :D

The W
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Post by mac.jedi »

@bajadahl: Thanks for posting your fix!

I've just tried the original script on my MBA with an external superDrive running 10.6 and it seemed to work fine for me. I agree that the useGrowl property should be set to "no" for the time being, unless your running System Prefs in 32-bit mode, which I'm not and haven't tested.

I'll update the tutorial, but I'd rather wait until some other apps are ready for 10.6. Also, for me, this workflow is a bit outdated and I'd like to update it with some new info for auto-tagging, Hazel integration, batch muxing/encoding Blu-Ray for ATV-720p-AAC/Plex-1080p-DTS/AC3, etc.

All in good time.
rmkernan

Post by rmkernan »

Forgive the moronic question but are all the updates included in the tutorial and scripts on the first page, or must one use the updated scripts scattered throughout the replies?
bajadahl

Post by bajadahl »

@mac.jedi

First of all-- Thank you. Your scripts have helped countless users including myself. I am a hack and could not write this entire script if my life depended on it. I can and often do piece meal code together that gets a desired result.

Anyway, in my original post I tried, poorly, to describe the problem I was solving for (Other than Growl). For some reason on my Mac the original batchRip script has started trying to grab two file systems from the automounter. (/net and /home) I "incorrectly" assumed this was due to the Snow Leopard update. It is also possible that some system preference that I have begun using in the past few months has caused this behavior as well. Maybe a sharing setting. I'm just not sure.

Anyway, I don't think the change I made to the tell command would hurt anyone, but it may not be necessary for everyone either. I was really happy to offer a little back.

I do look forward to your updates, and thank you for taking the time to bring us all along with you on these tutorials.

@rmkernan

I believe mac.jedi typically does keep the tutorial up to date with the most current scripts. However, as he stated in his previous post he would like to wait for supporting app updates (among other things) before updating the tutorial again. I believe the answer your looking for is: the tutorial scripts are still the gold masters at this time. If you are on OSX 10.6 just make sure you do not enable growl.
splodgecat

Post by splodgecat »

Great script, thanks to all who have worked so hard to get this working for noobs like me, especially mac jedi.

I have managed to use the scripts here to get MTR to run automatically (prefer MTR to fairmount) and to batch encode at midnight using the CLI.

I used this for the first time last night and crossed my fingers.

When I returned to my MBP this morning I found it in a bad way!

a) the conversion was still running after 7 hours.
b) the log file was 9.5gbs in size! My harddrive was therefore low on space
c) CPU was so maxed that attempting to launch safari froze the entire computer
d) before it froze, I managed to check the log file and saw that over the past 7 hours, the estimated finish time of the CLI according to the log had ballooned massively from 1 hr to 7 hrs, then back to 1 hr. when i returned this morning it said 30 mins remaining but it wasnt making any progress.

Something's not right!

One thing I have to say which reiterates something another guy said earlier is that with TV series, often there is one giant title on the dvd which is all 4 episodes strung together. naturally for a media centre we want separate episodes so we usually want titles 2-5. Converting all titles over 20 mins is good for films but useless for most tv series. This morning my laptop had not even finished encoding title 1 which i would have discarded anyway, so its a massive waste of time and power.

the solution to this is to tell the cli to encode titles 2-5 explicitly, or be a little cleverer about it. Even if you could give a maximum title time to encode, this would exempt some long films and thus render the script useless in that way. A better way would be to write a short script that could compare the title lengths, and pick all titles that are within 5-6 minutes length of each other (as these would nearly always be the episodes themselves) and then feed these to the CLI.

Other than that the only thing I can think of doing is to have multiple scripts, one for films, and one for titles 2-5, one for titles 1-4, etc. I'd have to do my dvds in batches of the same type obviously.

However more pressing than that is my desire to get the CLI running quickly and calmly. I don't want it to nuke my computer over night, every night i put it on. I had it set on Apple TV preset. Is it normal to run over 7 hrs for a 2.5hr title (title 1, all four episodes combined that I didnt even want!) on a 2.33 ghz mbp? Using the GUI never seemed to take that long.

All in all, Im excited by the potential this system has to offer but i lack the technical expertise to perfect the running of it. Can anyone offer me some settings (and by that I mean that I can cut and paste into the script) for a high quality, but not RIDICULOUSLY long encode? I want it to look smart but im not obsessive.

And why is the log file so ridiculously big?!?!
mac.jedi
Enlightened

Post by mac.jedi »

I'm sorry you've had trouble. I've heard others having issues with the logs on certain discs. Perhaps if there are a lot of errors or an encode is particulary verbose in it's output. In any case, I mentioned in a previous post that this tutorial is due for a serious update. A lot of the features you mentioned in your post, I've been adding and using for almost a year now, but recent developments with Snow Leopard and Blu-Ray encoding have made me re-evaluate the workflow. So, I'm just now working on updating the tutorial.

So, if you can wait a bit, the new workflow will incorporate min and max duration settings for both tv shows and movies, not only for DVD, but Blu-Ray as well. I've also added direct disc input for those that want to go from disc to mp4 or mkv with iTunes style metatags all in one script.
splodgecat

Post by splodgecat »

Many thanks for the prompt reply, class!

The update you've promised sounds amazingly impressive, I'm highly looking forwards to it. Any idea of when it will be ready? Does it use Hazel to move the files around?

With regards my current situation do you recommend I try another disc, a film maybe as opposed to a tv series? I think I might just try the script totally vanilla as well (last time i added apple tv preset, chapter markers, forced subs etc).

Cheers
fretbuzz

Post by fretbuzz »

Is there a MAXIMUM length on this? I have searched everywhere, but must be missing the answer. I keep getting this error:

Movies/BatchScripts/HandBrakeCLI-batch.sh: line 201: let: trackTime=(02*60)+08: value too great for base (error token is "08")
Not sure why? Is there a way to change the length limit?