can Handbrake handle .dvdmeda files from RipIt

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gsi095

can Handbrake handle .dvdmeda files from RipIt

Post by gsi095 »

Hi,

I have been using RipIt.app to get all of my DVD collection onto my mac.

I can only play it currently with the apple DVD app and want to convert it to h.264 or something I can play on an AppleTV.

Does Handbrake handle these files? anyone experienced this?

Dave
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: can Handbrake handle .dvdmeda files from RipIt

Post by TedJ »

Yes, since a .dvdmedia file is simply the VIDEO_TS folder with an added extension. Select the file, Command-I, then delete the .dvdmedia suffix.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

As far as I remember it's a Mac OS X package and support for it was added at the same time support for EyeTV packages was added (afaik it should be supported in 0.9.2)

Why didn't you just try it?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

From line 1264 in /macosx/Controller.mm:

Code: Select all

/* We check to see if this is a .dvdmedia package */
                else if ([[path pathExtension] isEqualToString: @"dvdmedia"])
                {
                    /* path IS a package - but dvdmedia packages can be treaded like normal directories */
                    browsedSourceDisplayName = [[[path stringByDeletingPathExtension] lastPathComponent] retain];
                    [self writeToActivityLog:"trying to open dvdmedia package"];
                    [self performScan:path scanTitleNum:0];
                }
So, yep, it works fine.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

What happen to "Try it First" ? :roll:
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Worse yet, I think its was actually in 0.9.2's release notes...
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Heh, I didn't even notice that HB had .dvdmedia support... learn something new every day, I guess. :)
gsi095

Post by gsi095 »

Hi

have downloaded it and given it a try.
TedJ wrote:Yes, since a .dvdmedia file is simply the VIDEO_TS folder with an added extension. Select the file, Command-I, then delete the .dvdmedia suffix.
Thanks TedJ, this worked

Dave
spense01

Post by spense01 »

Hi. So I've been using HB for a long time but recently stumbled across RipIt. Well the 1.5 version seems great but the 2 movies i've tried to compress with the either the resultant .dvdmedia or the Video_TS, crash HB every time.

I cannot even get an output through the activity monitor so I can't submit you what the problem is. I am going to try and just extract the appropriate title with HB and see if that works.

Could it be just the 2 movies I am trying (Wall-E and Step Brothers)? Or has anyone had consistent crashes with 0.9.3 and RipIt 1.5?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Not too sure about Step Brothers, but Wall-E is proving to be a right [Censored] to rip... I saw a post earlier suggesting it fails with Ripit.app too.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8165
spense01

Post by spense01 »

Thanks for the re-direct to that other thread :) Unfortunately Wall-E seems to be a problem. 0.9.3 will process the titles and 30 is the right one but I finished an encode over-night to find no audio! :(

Step Brothers worked but there was slight hiccup at the beginning where the studio-logo intro plays twice, otherwise the movie seemed fine.

I am re-encoding Wall-E now with slight variation to the audio and seeing if that helps. Also I might try to remove the 0k files in the resultant Video_TS folder to see if that helps HB not choke when scanning it. I'll post my findings :)
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

As far as Wall-E goes, depending on which UPC code disc you have (there are 3 total for US) Rip-It app for whole disc - DVD2OneX title 9 (pick any and all audio you want) - Handbrake results. Viola! Your child can now drool for hours on end watching it over, and over, and over, and over...
ozmosis82
Novice

Post by ozmosis82 »

I just wanted to add the fact that I've experienced the same problem (HB crashes when attempting to load a .dvdmedia file) with at least one older DVD: the 2-disc special edition of Batman Returns (was released in '05, so copy protection wasn't quite in the same state as it is now). Opening by title worked, though I had to load the movie into DVD Player.app to check which title was actually the main movie.

My question is where does the issue lie? Is it in the formatting of .dvdmedia files? All I can provide is the report that I would send to Apple...

Edit: (You can add "Sphere" to the list of problem RipIts)
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

ozmosis82 wrote:My question is where does the issue lie? Is it in the formatting of .dvdmedia files?
As I mentioned above, there's nothing special about the formatting - it's simply a VIDEO_TS folder with an added suffix. It's more likely that Ripit is leaving some damaged cells in the rip - this won't cause a problem with playback (the cells aren't actually referenced) but anything attempting a full scan will break.