Missing title

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
stu-m

Missing title

Post by stu-m »

I have a DVD with 10 titles on it. Neither MediaFork nor HB 0.7.1 displays title 5, even after the DVD is ripped with MTR2.6.6 or MTR3.0 R14d. DVD2oneX2 does show the title after the DVD is ripped by MTR. Also, after MF, HB or MTR rips the DVD, DVDPlayer finds all the titles in the ripped set. I want to convert the 'missing' title to mp4 but can't get at it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Use VLC to isolate what title 5 is. My money is on it having no audio - HandBrake currently ignores video-only tracks.

Rodney
stu-m

Post by stu-m »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I know what the title is, it plays normally using DVD Player, just like is does on a DVD player. The audio is fine. When MF is scanning the disk, it spends only a very brief time on Title 5. I guess there is just some quirk there.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Interesting.

MediaFork has a known regression from HandBrake 0.7.1 concerning MP2 audio, but that's the only audio-based defect that has ever been independently confirmed.

A few more details would be helpful - can you try DTOX after MTR 2.66 to see if it makes a difference, and can you provide your processor specs (PPC vs. Intel, # of cores, speed, etc.)?

Rodney
stu-m

Post by stu-m »

I am using a dual processor 1.8 GHz PPC with 3 Gb ram, lots of HD space. The DVD read/write is on Firewire and I have an eSATA card for an external drive which is normally turned off, used only for backup. (I am using SuperDuper! and have complete peace of mind for the first time.)

First I rip usng MTR 2.6.6. MF does not see Title 5, DTOX does.
Case 1 - If I then do a full disk copy using DTOX, no compression, MF does not see Title 5.
Case 2 - If I do a full disk copy using DTOX, compressing for a 1-layer DVD, MF is able to see Title 5.
Presumably in case 1, DTOX didn't do much except copy the files. They are slightly different sizes from the originals, however. In case 2, a lot of bits would be changed. This is the reason I think that there is something about the original bit pattern that MF doesn't like and that causes MF to ignore Title 5.

Thanks again for your interest.

Stu
kspring

Having the same problem

Post by kspring »

I have the same problem with two different DVD's. HandBrake does not recognize a two titles in my Trailer Park Boys Season 3 and one title in The Wire Season 2. I don't know what these other programs you are talking about are, but I would be very appreciative if someone knew of another program to use so I can rip these titles.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

Use movie only mode in DVD2oneX, Dual Layer option. This will create a VIDEO_TS folder with only one title (uncompressed) and will be seen by Handbrake.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Actually, I have now tried several solutions that create movie only DVDs, but still Handbrake in my case will not see the missing title 1.

It is perplexing because DVD Shrink for instance certainly sees the title.