handbrake is not reading my dvd's

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sor1979

handbrake is not reading my dvd's

Post by sor1979 »

hanbrake is not reading any of my dvd's at all what am i doing wrong ????
Mucx
Experienced

Post by Mucx »

Well? 'Reading' could mean any number of things...

Is it a basic lack of knowledge of how to use the application in general we are talking about? Or is it you know the in-and-outs of the application but for some reason when scanning the DVD it fails? Does it fail during the encoding process?

For a basic understanding of the HandBrake premise you can check out this document here (there are also other 'How To's' available on this very site under the 'Docs' section): http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articl ... ormat-mac/

Keep in mind that the tutorial there is aimed at producing iPod specific files but it gives you a good understanding of the application. After that it is just a matter of tweaking the settings for whatever screen you are wanting to view on. (search teh forum...loads of specs people swear by).

It is also (although it should probably be stated on this website somewhere and the documents in teh download if it isnt already?) that HandBrake is not successful at reading straight from your DVD Disc 100% of the time. In fact I personally wouldn't let HandBrake read from my disc as it is such a heavy burden on your DVD drive lense.

So we use a program called MacTheRipper first, which gets rid of most of the DVD reading problems and then encode with HandBrake.

Hope that helps?
Mucx