Ripping the wrong version

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DennisG

Ripping the wrong version

Post by DennisG »

I have a lot of purchased DVD's in my collection that I rip to my iPod touch. I usually find that the correct file to rip is the first of the large files. But on occasion, I'll spend an hour ripping a movie, only to later find that it's the version with the director's comments. Is there a more effective way to identify which of the many files is the theatrical version? Thanks in advance for your help.
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Ripping the wrong version

Post by rhester »

Director's commentary is usually a part of the audio track, not the video. But in any event, try ripping just the first chapter, and with something like xvid instead of x264 for speed.

Rodney
hartam01

Re: Ripping the wrong version

Post by hartam01 »

are you trying to rip foreign films?? if you are handbrake will generally default to english which is generally the directors comments, so you need to switch to the audio tab and switch back to the films actual language and then select the subtitle at the bottom, if your not doing foreign films then ignore this post