Are These Protected DVDs? Please Read....

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
TheBlooDred

Are These Protected DVDs? Please Read....

Post by TheBlooDred »

Hey there.

Just to make sure, the following DVDs aren't ripping with HB because they're protected, right? (Should I scan the 21 pages of posts about which DVDs won't rip?)

Anyway, here's the code in the activity log when some of the movies start freaking out - not crashing, but I have to Force Quit to get out of HB to start over with another DVD.

I HAVE been selecting the single title for the film, and have NOT been scanning the whole DVD.

CAPOTE
Beginning of Cell (14) at block 8287
GUI ERROR dialog: dvd: DVDReadBlocks failed (8474), skipping to vobu 8511

--ended at .56% on 1 pass

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA
GUI ERROR dialog: dvd: DVDReadBlocks failed (8474), skipping to vobu 8431

--ended at .23% on 1 pass

If there is ANY way to get them to rip, please tell me or redirect me to text where I can learn how to bypass the ReadBlock!! Thanks fellas.

-TheBlooDred
Cavalicious

Re: Are These Protected DVDs? Please Read....

Post by Cavalicious »

Try reading the FAQs...and yes they are "protected"
TheBlooDred

Post by TheBlooDred »

So Is there any way that I can still rip them or no....?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

At the top of the page...

-Click on Documentation
-Click on Frequently Asked Questions
-Answer you own question
TheBlooDred

Post by TheBlooDred »

Hey Cavalicious -

Okay, I read the faqs just like you said, my dear, and i came across one "work around" page that you created where you suggest to download fairmount, vlc, and dtox. it worked great until dtox came to 99%, stood still and i had to end up forcing everything to quit and when they didnt, i had to complete shut down my computer. No, i don't have a lot of space used up because i use EHDs for everything.

this might be one of your annoying little questions you have to put up with, but is the reason it freaked out at 99% because it's protected? I thought this was the "work around" the protected DVDs option....? Also, it seems like DTOX was the only program i needed. why did i need fairmount or vcl? (vlc?)

If yes about the protected thing, I'm so sorry I wasted your time. You seem very knowledgeable, and I ask you to humble yourself for a moment, come down to amateur level, and answer a few questions instead of redirecting me to a page with a thousand FAQs. Sorry I sound so retarded.

If you have the time, I would really appreciate your help. You're the Sultan of all computers.

Love,
BlooDred.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

Why should we support you on this, again?
hartam01

Post by hartam01 »

If using fairmount and dtox didnt work then try acquiring Mactheripper 2.66 or 3.0 and do an arccos rip of the dvd and then rip with hb

in simple when using fairmount with dtox or dvd remaster it finds the bad blocks so the rip can happen, unfortunately it doesnt always work but generally does just depends on the disc and results always vary
ImagoX

Post by ImagoX »

cvk_b wrote:Why should we support you on this, again?
Seriously? (( Looks around ))... this *is* a support forum, right? :roll:
hartam01 wrote:If using fairmount and dtox didnt work then try acquiring Mactheripper 2.66 or 3.0 and do an arccos rip of the dvd and then rip with hb

in simple when using fairmount with dtox or dvd remaster it finds the bad blocks so the rip can happen, unfortunately it doesnt always work but generally does just depends on the disc and results always vary
Ahhhh.... now that's community spirit at work. And good info to know when (not if) this happens to me. Thanks!
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

ImagoX wrote:
cvk_b wrote:Why should we support you on this, again?
Seriously? (( Looks around ))... this *is* a support forum, right? :roll:
...and you are making this your problem, why? First, and foremost, we don't have to support anyone. Support is done solely by volunteers. This is especially true of smart ass trolls that don't like to follow directions (or read documentation...which again, we didn't have to provide). Second, there is a difference between "support" and "spoon-feeding" (which we don't do).

ImagoX wrote:
hartam01 wrote:If using fairmount and dtox didnt work then try acquiring Mactheripper 2.66 or 3.0 and do an arccos rip of the dvd and then rip with hb

Ahhhh.... now that's community spirit at work. And good info to know when (not if) this happens to me. Thanks!
Something this is already stated in the documentation and posted throughout the forums...but I guess its too much to ask the OP to do a little leg work.