Using ffmpegx to mux second audio track? or some other way?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
broaddd

Using ffmpegx to mux second audio track? or some other way?

Post by broaddd »

I know people have been posting about the sad loss of the two audio track feature, but I haven't seen this question come up.

That is, ffmpegx.com describes its ability to mux an avi file with another audio track. Ideally, I would use MediaFork to rip H264 with passthrough AC3 audio, then mux in the director's commentary or something.

Anyone tried? My first attempts failed - ffmpegx's progress bar went to 100% immediately, with no progress notes.

B
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Using ffmpegx to mux second audio track? or some other w

Post by jbrjake »

broaddd wrote:I know people have been posting about the sad loss of the two audio track feature, but I haven't seen this question come up.

That is, ffmpegx.com describes its ability to mux an avi file with another audio track. Ideally, I would use MediaFork to rip H264 with passthrough AC3 audio, then mux in the director's commentary or something.

Anyone tried? My first attempts failed - ffmpegx's progress bar went to 100% immediately, with no progress notes.
I've never had much luck with that kind of stuff in ffmpegX.

My way of getting dual-audio with AC3 and the commentary is to use the matroska container (.mkv) instead of .avi. Rip your movie in HandBrake to .mp4, with the directory's commentary as AAC audio. Then rip the AC3 off your DVD using ffmpegX or 0seX. Download mkvmergegui, and add both files as tracks to a new .mkv file.

0seX: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9830
mkvmergeGUI: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... lnix-2.zip

Note: QuickTime doesn't play .mkv files, so you'll want to use a more robust, open-source video player like VLC.