Is this possible?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
BoomR6969

Is this possible?

Post by BoomR6969 »

Been trying to rip my entire DVD collection so I can park them on my NAS and stream them to various rooms in the house. Instead of buying an AppleTV, I bought a Mini because I want to use the same machine to run some home automation stuff (lights, thermostats, etc.).

I've used the AppleTV preset to rip my DVDs. I believe it creates .m4v files (or is it .mp4? I'm @ work & can't confirm). My Mini is connected to my home theatre receiver via optical cable. I'm trying to view my movies using the FrontRow application (makes my Mini act like AppleTV).

Problem(?) is that I only get stereo & not surround. Is that a function of not selecting the correct codec when I rip? Or is it a function of the iTunes (or is it QT "under the hood" of iTunes?) not being able to render the surround?

Just found a thread on Perian - will this solve the issue?

TIA for any light you can shed. I think HandBrake [Censored]' ROCKS!!! I pray that it'll support BD ripping -
lone_tree
Experienced

Re: Is this possible?

Post by lone_tree »

The .m4v vs. .mp4 extension depends on your prefs. You can check "Use iPod/iTunes friendly (.m4v) file extension for MP4" and this will give all your MP4 files the .m4v extension. That is important, because in my experience, .mp4 files encoded with AAC+AC3 won't open in QT unless you change the extension to .m4v. If you get a file with an .mp4 extension I think you can change it to .m4v without complications.

I'm not an expert on the AC3 audio, but just make sure you are using the "AVC/H.264/AAC + AC3 Audio" codec option. Once again, I'm not an expert so I don't know how QT handles it compared to the ATV.
BoomR6969

Post by BoomR6969 »

Just checked my rips again - definitely using the AVC/H.264 Video / AAC + AC3 Audio option that's a part of the default AppleTV preset. File types are .m4v

If I understand what I'm reading in the docs, on an AppleTV, this option should give me surround (not just stereo) when I use the optical output from ATV into my A/V receiver.

Again, I'm using the optical out of my mini into my A/V receiver, but all I'm getting is stereo.

Any additional suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cheers!
--B
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Let's first review the basics.

When you power on the Apple TV, does your receiver indicate it is receiving a Dolby 5.1 DD signal? If not, you have a receiver configuration issue.

Rodney
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

rhester wrote:Let's first review the basics.

When you power on the Apple TV, does your receiver indicate it is receiving a Dolby 5.1 DD signal? If not, you have a receiver configuration issue.

Rodney
If I'm reading correctly, he's trying to get DD5.1 from a Mini, not an AppleTV.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

nightstrm wrote:
rhester wrote:Let's first review the basics.

Rodney
If I'm reading correctly, he's trying to get DD5.1 from a Mini, not an AppleTV.
Which means he needs to tweak his Perian configuration, assuming that it'll work at all. Seems QT 7.4.5 breaks the AC3 passthrough in Perian 1.1...
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

TedJ wrote:Seems QT 7.4.5 breaks the AC3 passthrough in Perian 1.1...
I checked with gbooker on the #perian channel on irc a few days back. According to him AC3 is not broken with perian and the latest qt. For what its worth.
Last edited by dynaflash on Wed May 07, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quotes. Camino sucks sometimes.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

dynaflash wrote:
TedJ wrote:
nightstrm wrote:Seems QT 7.4.5 breaks the AC3 passthrough in Perian 1.1...
I checked with gbooker on the #perian channel on irc a few days back. According to him AC3 is not broken with perian and the latest qt. For what its worth.
How did my name get in that position in the quote?

Stop putting words in my mouth. :lol:
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

fixed. Now you fix yours ;)
BoomR6969

Post by BoomR6969 »

Thanks guys for all the feedback!!

Again, trying to use my Mini like an ATV (with FrontRow). I've got my Mini connected to the MD/Tape optical input on my Sony AV receiver. Hmmm... maybe I need to use one of the VIDEO optical inputs for me to get the surround? Since MD or Tape is only stereo, maybe it's a limitation of where I"m connecting to my receiver! Let me fuss with that... In the meantime...

Maybe the other part of the puzzle is Perian? I don't have this installed.... I think in my post I was also trying to inquire if that was really a requirement for me to actually realize the surround, given I was using the ATV preset in HandBrake to rip what I assumed was the correct types of audio streams.

Happy Hump Day to everyone!
--B
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

You won't get any AC3 output with Quicktime without Perian, so yeah you need to install it.
BoomR6969

Post by BoomR6969 »

Just installed Perian. Also moved my optical input from MD/Tape to Video 1. Set my Sony AV receiver to Video 1. Receiver sees the optical input + LED says "Linear PCM 44.1 KHz" , but the blue light that normally comes on labeled "MultiChannel Decoding" doesn't light up.

I've tried the various settings in the Perian drop-down menu (Dolby, Dolby II, multi-channel). Nothing seems to have any effect.

This is a serious head-scratcher. I can't believe Apple would cripple the optical out of the Mini and have it be less robust than the optical out of the ATV.... or would they? Right now, that's the only thing that makes sense. I'm ripping in the correct format, I've installed Perian, and using the optical out of the Mini into the AV receiver's Video 1 optical input.

Is it time for me to pick up a cocktail?? :roll:
--B
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Have you followed a how to like this: http://www.cod3r.com/2008/02/the-correc ... quicktime/

Also have you tried playing in QT rather then FrontRow.
BoomR6969

Post by BoomR6969 »

PS... just found this article & work-around on the topic:

http://geekwithfamily.com/2007/07/05/ho ... me-player/

The last person to post a comment on this suggests that QT 7.4.5 breaks this work-around.

I'm about ready to re-image my Mini to reset to pre-7.4.5. Will let you know what I find out!

THANKS!
--B
BoomR6969

Post by BoomR6969 »

realityking wrote:Have you followed a how to like this: http://www.cod3r.com/2008/02/the-correc ... quicktime/

Also have you tried playing in QT rather then FrontRow.
Yes...tried playing in QT as well as FR.

Thanks for that link - as I reviewed it, I discovered a BIG piece of the puzzle that's missing for me. This was evident in both the article you pointed me to, and the link that I just posted. The catch: When I open the Audio/Midi Setup, in the lower-right corner of the dialog box where I'm supposed to be able to set the sampling rate to 48k, there is NOTHING.... well, other than grayed out text that says: Output is not supported.

I think I'm doomed!
BoomR6969

Post by BoomR6969 »

Here's a screen grab of my Audio/Midi Setup. This is with the optical cable plugged in (unplugging it didn't have any effect, either).

http://www.billshafer.com/AudioMidi.jpg
BoomR6969

Post by BoomR6969 »

I deserve all the flames I'll get for this. The problem: My A/V receiver was set to 2-channel stereo on the Video 1 input. I made the mistake of assuming that, like HDMI digital input into the receiver from my BluRay and FiOS box, the amp would automatically negotiate the audio mode when using a digital signal coming into that input.

Once I set my Sony A/V receiver to Dolby ProLogic II, all is right with the world. MANY MANY MANY thanks to all of you for your time and input in trying to get this resolved - esp. the stuff on Perian (that was also another piece of the puzzle).

--B