I seem to have misplaced 16 GB of space.

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Deleted User 5579

I seem to have misplaced 16 GB of space.

Post by Deleted User 5579 »

I started to work on those odd import DVDs and one of them is Crimson Rivers. I noticed that overnight after at least 6 hours activity log was busy inserting silence AC3 frame for track 80d, from what I can remember reading the log.

So I hit stop encode and decide to remove from my que and move on to the next file and tackle that later. After awhile the Mac gives me running out space message. Weird I have 25gb free.

I've seen this happen before with other apps so a restart usually clears up the space. Not this time. So I ran Omnidisksweeper and Whatsize. All report 85gb used out of 111. Yet viewing my HD Get Info shows 111 GB capacity 101 used 9 GB free. Weird. Somewhere there an invisible file is taking up about 16gb of space. Ran Leopard Cache Cleaner, no change.

Did a Finder search looking for any file, visible/invisible greater than 1GB. Nothing but that silly Entourage DB comes up.

Any suggestions on finding this invisible file? Already checked the handbrake-activity.txt and its a normal enough size of 96k or so. Any suggestions?

Oops I mean 16gb out of 25 that s/b free. :wink:
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: I seem to have misplaced 16 GB of space.

Post by TedJ »

Have you tried checking the volume in question with Disk Utility.app? You'll find it in Applications/Utilities.
Deleted User 5579

Yes. DU checks out fine, even did a safe boot to force the utility to run on boot. Oh well, I'll just have to off load some file to gain some space a bit and re-install 10.5 if the OS doesn't clear up on its own. I say that since my last post the drive just gained 2 gb of free space on its own. :-)
Deleted User 5579

You gotta love OS X. This morning all the space came back on its own. Now the HD Get Info size and Disk Utility size matches up with Omnidisksweeper and WhatSize totals. :D
remyhelsinki

Post by remyhelsinki »

Don't know if this was your case but I once used a public beta of a mac program that must have been buggy because it started eating my hard disk space until it ran out although a reboot of the computer fixed it (the space kept disappearing even though I had quit the program). It created some huge tmp or swapfiles in the /private/ folder (can't remember exactly which is was now). In any case spotlight wouldn't have shown it but I could look at the files using Whatsize. If you didn't check there and this happens again it might be a location to check out.
Deleted User 5579

remyhelsinki wrote:Don't know if this was your case but I once used a public beta of a mac program that must have been buggy because it started eating my hard disk space until it ran out although a reboot of the computer fixed it (the space kept disappearing even though I had quit the program). It created some huge tmp or swapfiles in the /private/ folder (can't remember exactly which is was now). In any case spotlight wouldn't have shown it but I could look at the files using Whatsize. If you didn't check there and this happens again it might be a location to check out.

Well I think the Mac OS just went bonkers when it was busy with HB writing a log for six hours or more on a DVD I mentioned above. Nothing crashed. I stopped everything normally. Rebooted normally when I was warned of running out of space.

The odd thing was , Whatsize and Omnidiscsweeper could not locate that missing 16gb space. It was truly invisible. Even /private directories, vars, temp could not locate that 16gb. I just have a feeling the OS was just taking a little bit longer than usual to update the free space available on the drive. Since the missing GB of space did show up the next day, while running HB all night as usual. :D