AC3 2 channel?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Bog

AC3 2 channel?

Post by Bog »

I did an encode from a House DVD (Season 1, Episode 1) using the Apple TV preset. Once complete, I loaded with VLC and looked at properties for all the streams.

The AC3 stream said 2 channels. Does this sound right? I'm assuming this isn't a 5.1 audio source.

As I'm just trying to find out if this sounds right I don't have the activity log but can recreate. I'm thinking for TV shows, stereo output is perfectly fine and I will remove the AC3 stream.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: AC3 2 channel?

Post by nightstrm »

I believe it will report 2-channel, even when a full 5.1 soundtrack is present. Your best bet is to see if your receiver LCD reports 5.1, or look on the box and see if a 5.1 soundtrack is present on the DVD.

As for me, if the source has anything other than 5.1, I'll encode to AAC.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Open the movie in QT. Window -> Show Movie Properies. There is should show your audio tracks. One will be called "Surround", click on it then click on the "Audio Settings" tab at the bottom. There is will show your channels and their assignments. You should see six of them if its 5.1.

Beware that AC3 passthru will only pass thru as many channels as the source track you choose from your dvd. So if you select a AC2 2.0 Track, thats all you will get.
Bog

Post by Bog »

Thank you for the quick responses. I'll check in QT this evening.

The source DVD actually states 5.1 but I'll check with my receiver when I get a chance.