Easier SVN checkout

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
redraiderbum
Enlightened

Easier SVN checkout

Post by redraiderbum »

My apologies if this is in the wrong place; I couldn't think of a better place. I'm sure the dev's know this, but I wanted to suggest that it may be possible to alter the svn checkout instructions because it seems the subversion command line tool is built into leopard. I just did a fresh install of leopard and did not need to install the subversion client through macports. So instead of telling people to download the gui svn client you can do essentially the same thing as the linux instructions:

svn co svn://svn.handbrake.fr/HandBrake/trunk

That will put the files in a folder called 'trunk' locally. Just a suggestion.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: Easier SVN checkout

Post by nightstrm »

redraiderbum wrote:My apologies if this is in the wrong place; I couldn't think of a better place. I'm sure the dev's know this, but I wanted to suggest that it may be possible to alter the svn checkout instructions because it seems the subversion command line tool is built into leopard. I just did a fresh install of leopard and did not need to install the subversion client through macports. So instead of telling people to download the gui svn client you can do essentially the same thing as the linux instructions:

That will put the files in a folder called 'trunk' locally. Just a suggestion.
Isn't the svn client installed as part of the XCode installation, and not by default?

This is the way I've been doing it for awhile, but I could have sworn I had to install XCode first...
redraiderbum
Enlightened

Post by redraiderbum »

Also, just for posterity, I wanted to say after I checked out this way, I attempted to build with the 'make' command and it did not work. I have everything that is required. Then I deleted the checkout and did the standard './jam' command and it worked. I'm sure it's not a checkout problem, but I am working with a fresh install of leopard on a fresh install of xcode 3.0 and making did not work except with jam. Thank you for the continued hard work dev's.
redraiderbum
Enlightened

Post by redraiderbum »

Isn't the svn client installed as part of the XCode installation, and not by default?

This is the way I've been doing it for awhile, but I could have sworn I had to install XCode first...
It actually may be. I honestly do them both before doing anything else; it seems like even after installing xcode 2.5, I still had to install subversion via macports, but I could very well be wrong about that.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The contrib packs have not been updated for a while, so make building won't work.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

redraiderbum wrote:My apologies if this is in the wrong place; I couldn't think of a better place. I'm sure the dev's know this, but I wanted to suggest that it may be possible to alter the svn checkout instructions because it seems the subversion command line tool is built into leopard. I just did a fresh install of leopard and did not need to install the subversion client through macports. So instead of telling people to download the gui svn client you can do essentially the same thing as the linux instructions:
Um, did you even read the guide? It already covers this.
Compiling HandBrake

* Compiling in Mac OS X (the easy, mostly graphical way)

* Compiling at the command line (the almost-as-easy textual way, that works in both Mac OS X and Linux)
Compiling HandBrake at the command line
The first time
First, you need a compiler.

If you're on Linux, you need to make sure that 'gcc' and 'g++' are installed.

Assuming you're on OS X, download XCode 3 from Apple: http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/

To download XCode, you'll need an ADC account, but it doesn't cost any money. You can register for free on the website.
Now, download Subversion if you need to

Most Linux distributions have this built in.

After installing XCode 3, OS X will have it as well.
The point of having the graphical way there isn't because they have to download svn, but because not all users are comfortable with setting up an svn checkout with the cli and might feel more comfortable being able to direct the checkout and future updates by using a graphical client that bookmarks the location and state of all working copies.
redraiderbum
Enlightened

Post by redraiderbum »

Hmm... maybe I'm just on crack today. And the dev's should probably ignore everything I post today. You are correct jbrjake. I assumed the command line checkout was only for linux because if you put this:

svn://svn.handbrake.fr/HandBrake/trunk

in as a terminal command in OS X it will not understand what you are asking. I'm not sure why, but you have to make the call to the subversion client and pass it the checkout command:

Also, the folder will be called 'trunk', not 'Handbrake-source' as in the wiki.

Again my apologies, I did not read the instructions verbatim and just tried the command text that is stated there. Since it did not work I assumed you guys meant that for linux only. I promise to read more closely next time.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

redraiderbum wrote:Hmm... maybe I'm just on crack today. And the dev's should probably ignore everything I post today. You are correct jbrjake. I assumed the command line checkout was only for linux because if you put this:

svn://svn.handbrake.fr/HandBrake/trunk

in as a terminal command in OS X it will not understand what you are asking. I'm not sure why, but you have to make the call to the subversion client and pass it the checkout command:

Also, the folder will be called 'trunk', not 'Handbrake-source' as in the wiki.

Again my apologies, I did not read the instructions verbatim and just tried the command text that is stated there. Since it did not work I assumed you guys meant that for linux only. I promise to read more closely next time.
I think I pointed that out once in the IRC channel... it likely got lost in all the excitement that happens there. :)