wont work

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
backfromiraq

wont work

Post by backfromiraq »

i just downloaded the new version of handbrake, and when i try to open it up, it looks like its opening but then nothing happens its a new computer, so i dont know what to do
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: wont work

Post by TedJ »

A little more info would help...

You say it's a new computer - how new exactly? I ask because the latest version (0.9.2) only works under the latest version of OS X (10.5 aka Leopard). If you're still running 10.4 (Tiger), which you will be if you purchased your new computer prior to late October last year and haven't upgraded to 10.5 yet (well worthwhile IMHO), you'll need to stick with the prior release (0.9.1).

There is a minor issue with 0.9.1, because the auto update function is borked... just ensure you have "check for updates" switched off in HB preferences then restart.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Geez, thanks TedJ, its nice to see a user helping us out. I must have explained the 0.9.1 updater thing a thousand times by now. Its quite refreshing. :)
backfromiraq

Post by backfromiraq »

now that you said that, i realize that i dont have leopard, my computer was bought before leopard came out
but i tried installing 9.1 handbrake again, it opened but the source icon wouldnt activate, it wouldnt open

thanks for your help
ncbp

Post by ncbp »

backfromiraq wrote:now that you said that, i realize that i dont have leopard, my computer was bought before leopard came out
but i tried installing 9.1 handbrake again, it opened but the source icon wouldnt activate, it wouldnt open
You need to switch off "Check for updates" in Preferences - otherwise 0.9.1 will not allow you to open any sources.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

dynaflash wrote:Geez, thanks TedJ, its nice to see a user helping us out. I must have explained the 0.9.1 updater thing a thousand times by now. Its quite refreshing. :)
Hey, it's no problem... although I think the announcement needs a title change to something like "Help! Source won't open! (0.9.1)" or such. The current title is a little ambiguous.

For such a handy application, taking a few minutes out of my busy schedule is a small price to pay. :)