QT 7.1.5 and HB/MF??

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
noved
Novice

QT 7.1.5 and HB/MF??

Post by noved »

I let Software Update install QuickTime 7.1.5 this afternoon and now both HandBrake and MediaFork crash when I try to rip a DVD to H264. Every single time, when I get things set up and click 'Rip'... bam!

For over a year with HandBrake, and weeks with MediaFork, no problems. Now, after QT 7.1.5, HB and MF crash every single time! grrr!!

Anyone else encountering any problems after QuickTime 7.1.5 is installed?
baggss

Post by baggss »

I'm ripping a movie right now and it seems to be working ok....
kevinbal

Post by kevinbal »

Quicktime update didn't impact me any on either of my macs.

Try repairing permissions?
noved
Novice

ok, thanks

Post by noved »

ok, thanks folks. It's good to hear QT 7.1.5 hasn't caused problems on other systems. Definitely must be something local to mine. Repairing permissions didn't help. I'm going to clean-install OS X again. Not being able to run Handbrake/MediaFork is a major inconvenience. :)
noved
Novice

Post by noved »

ok, it's not QuickTime 7.1.5 that's causing my crashes.

Before clean-installing OS X and all my apps (Adobe's product re-installs suck!), I carefully rethought the past few days to see if anything else on my system had changed. Nothing OS wise besides the QT 7.1.5 install. But, I did try something new. MacTheRipper 3.0R14. Yep, it turns out that all 3 movies I ripped with MTR 3.0R14 crash MediaFork and HandBrake. I went back and re-ripped "Stranger than Fiction" (STF) with MTR 2.6.6 and MF can work on it just fine. If I try MF on the previous STF rip from MTR 3.0R14, MF crashes every time.

So my problem was not QT 7.1.5. It's MTR 3.0R14. I'm sticking with MTR 2.6.6. It's worked for me without a problem on 60+ movies over the past year.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

noved wrote:ok, it's not QuickTime 7.1.5 that's causing my crashes.

Before clean-installing OS X and all my apps (Adobe's product re-installs suck!), I carefully rethought the past few days to see if anything else on my system had changed. Nothing OS wise besides the QT 7.1.5 install. But, I did try something new. MacTheRipper 3.0R14. Yep, it turns out that all 3 movies I ripped with MTR 3.0R14 crash MediaFork and HandBrake. I went back and re-ripped "Stranger than Fiction" (STF) with MTR 2.6.6 and MF can work on it just fine. If I try MF on the previous STF rip from MTR 3.0R14, MF crashes every time.

So my problem was not QT 7.1.5. It's MTR 3.0R14. I'm sticking with MTR 2.6.6. It's worked for me without a problem on 60+ movies over the past year.
STF has 'bad' IFOs, AKA copyright protection. Did you do a Full Disc Extraction or a Main Feature Extraction? When there are bad IFOs you need to do a Main Feature Extraction (which MTR warns the user of). Bad IFOs cause many programs to crash. MTR r14 is not the problem, it is the DVD mastering houses and users who do not read the instructions.
dp34

Post by dp34 »

did you try the d release of MTR 3.14? That just got released and seems to be more stable. I havent had any problems with MF and any MTR release.
noved
Novice

Post by noved »

cbud wrote: STF has 'bad' IFOs, AKA copyright protection. Did you do a Full Disc Extraction or a Main Feature Extraction? When there are bad IFOs you need to do a Main Feature Extraction (which MTR warns the user of). Bad IFOs cause many programs to crash. MTR r14 is not the problem, it is the DVD mastering houses and users who do not read the instructions.
The rip attempts of "Stranger than Fiction" (STF) were all done as a Main Feature Extraction (MFE). That's the only way to rip it because of the bad IFOs. And yes, MTR r14 warns that a MFE is needed. That wasn't the point of my original problem post. An MFE rip of STF with MTR r14 crashed HandBrake and MediaFork. An MFE rip of STF with MTR 2.6.6 works fine in both HandBrake and MediaFork.

Obviously, I should be more clear in my postings about exactly how I'm ripping things so as to not come off as a complete newbie who needs to be told to read the instructions. :)
dp34 wrote:did you try the d release of MTR 3.14? That just got released and seems to be more stable. I havent had any problems with MF and any MTR release.
Do you mean MTR 3.0 build 14 (aka r14)? Or is there an MTR 3.14 that is newer than the 3.0 r14 build?