Multiple DVD to single TS to get over the 9GB limit(SOLVED?)

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Tig3RStyluS

Re: Multiple DVD to single TS to get over the 9GB limit(SOLV

Post by Tig3RStyluS »

Thanks for the reply Rodeo, since abandoning DVD Decrypter, i have on a small number of occasions used it again if AnyDVD had problems with a specific DVD. In a small number of cases both failed, but i managed to work around the issues by using a different Drive (One of my Pioneers seems to cope better than the LG or LiteOn drives i have on tricky discs that fail on both programs). I know Slysoft recommend you not to use both.

Although personally i dont need or care about the chapters as the whole file plays great from Windows Media Center via Media Browser, after my last post i decided to experiment with Chapters as others expressed they want chapters preserved.. I used Chapter Xtractor on the vobs then output in OGM format.. then used Chapter import function in MKVMerge.. I then ran into the chapter problem i think you described where MKVmerge only saw 27 chapters (if my mem is correct) up to 1:33:32 of the first disc of the movie (first part is in excess of 2:00:00 so some chapter info was clearly missing). I checked chapter xtractor output file and saw only 27 chapters listed... So it seems that this limitation was due to output of chapter xtractor. Ill give your suggestions a pop as im sure im going to run into the issue of foreign language sections in Godfather part 3 which i think spans 2 DVD's, where i would want the Italian language scenes with burned in English subs.

Going slightly off-topic, do you know if Handbrake behaves differently when ripping to MKV when the import is from Vobs compared to when import is from Mpeg in MKV container? Somehow the quality looks higher when ive ripped from MKV file import but ive used exact same settings in Handbrake. Ive deleted other file now, i didnt think to compare the filesize of each before i trashed one :-(
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Tig3RStyluS wrote:I then ran into the chapter problem i think you described where MKVmerge only saw 27 chapters (if my mem is correct) up to 1:33:32 of the first disc of the movie (first part is in excess of 2:00:00 so some chapter info was clearly missing).
Not really what I was talking about, but related. My point is that VOB files don't have chapters (AFAIK they are in the IFO files). Which means you can't get chapters without additional software, but also that you can't use chapter markers as in/out points.

This may not be an issue with the extended edition of LOTR, but let's say you want to combine the three standard LOTR movies without the end credits in between, chapters can be useful for reasonably precise trimming.

Tig3RStyluS wrote:Going slightly off-topic, do you know if Handbrake behaves differently when ripping to MKV when the import is from Vobs compared to when import is from Mpeg in MKV container? Somehow the quality looks higher when ive ripped from MKV file import but ive used exact same settings in Handbrake. Ive deleted other file now, i didnt think to compare the filesize of each before i trashed one :-(
HandBrake doesn't support much from VOB files, no chapters, no subs, just video/audio and closed captions.

It does excel at converting DVDs though, so if you have the complete DVD structure (VIDEO_TS folder or ISO image with IFOs and VOBs), you can get chapters, subtitles, and angles when using dvdnav (enabled by default).

MKV support in 0.9.4 is limited to video/audio/chapters (and maybe captions, never checked). In the nightlies, you can also get subtitles from MKV files. However, ffmpeg places a limit on how many streams the file may contain (otherwise it won't demux and you'll get the "No valid source found" message).
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

And the quality should be identical... as long as the mpeg2 video streams in the source files are the same. vob and mkv are containers and have no real impact on quality.