Subtitles for iTunes/AppleTV

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Dante

Subtitles for iTunes/AppleTV

Post by Dante »

Hi,

I'm a newbe in Handbrake, I think it's very eassy to use but I have a doubt: How Should I use Handbrake for encoding a movie with two language tracks and subtitles as I could choose among these two languages and letting the subtitles on or off in iTunes and AppleTV.

Thanks very much in advance
realityking
Veteran User

Re: Subtitles for iTunes/AppleTV

Post by realityking »

You can't do the subtitle thing with HandBrake.
saverio

Post by saverio »

The two languages is theoretically possible, by using one language for the AC3 track and the other for the AAC track. Then you select to output AC3 passthrough or normal DPL audio, thereby selecting language. This is not possible with the distributed binary, you'd better dl the source code, find out where to touch and compile your version.

Anyway, iTunes suports audio selection now (at least from 7.6), so maybe FrontRow and TV will support it soon (or later).
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

saverio wrote:This is not possible with the distributed binary, you'd better dl the source code, find out where to touch and compile your version.
Um, implementing soft subtitles in HB in a format Apple devices recognize would me a lot more difficult than you're making it seem...
Dante

Post by Dante »

danmit!!

so I can only select audio tracks(English or Spanish) as the audio I can listen to but not to show or hide the subtitles, that's right?

thanks
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Correct.

Rodney
saverio

Post by saverio »

And even more, in FrontRow/AppleTV you'll listen to just the first audio track.

Also beware that as for now AppleTV doesn't support more than one AC3 track anyway.