5.1 Audio Question

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
myronaiii

5.1 Audio Question

Post by myronaiii »

Once 5.1 is implemented in the next version of Handbrake, how can this best be utilized? If I encode DVDs to mp4 (with 5.1 sound), what is the best way to watch these movies from iTunes through my receiver and therefore get 5.1 sound?

Can the iPod put out 5.1 sound? I just don't know how to get 5.1 sound to play w/o something like the digital audio that runs between by DVD player and my receiver. (I have the standard audio set-up w/ a receiver and 5.1 speakers hooked up.)
dbrajkovic

Firewave by griffin

Post by dbrajkovic »

i recently solved this problem by purchasing the Griffin Firewave. It connects to your Mac's FireWire port and has 3 stereo plugs in the back L/R LS/RS C/LFE. You will also need a 5.1 receiver that has 6 discreet inputs. I purchased a Sony Receiver at Circuit City for about $150. I set it up this past weekend and it works GREAT. I ripped a couple movies using MediaFork in develpment product and converted the AC3 to AAC 5.1 and the movies lok and sound great! Unless Apple puts a AC3 encoder into its AppleTV device 5.1 will not be available in AppleTV nor macs for that matter which also lack and AC3 encoder. Therefore the optical out will only pass 2 channel sound unless playing directly from DVD player app or VLC and keeping the AC3 encoding.

(sorry, rambled a bit. It's late. I'm in law school. Very Tired.)