Unexpectedly Quits only sometimes... Settings too High?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
USMC2Hard4U

Unexpectedly Quits only sometimes... Settings too High?

Post by USMC2Hard4U »

I love handbrake. Thank you all for making this program.

I am having an issue where only sometimes, handbrake will quit at the very last portion of the encode... usually on my longer (12+ hour HQ encodes) for example, I am encoding a Movie (Star Trek 6) straight from the DVD with the following settings.

File format/Codecs: MP4
Encoder: x264 (h.264 Main profile)
Framerate: Same as Source - 23.976 NTSC Film
Quality: Average Bit Rate 3500kbps
2 Pass Encoding Enabled: No Turbo First Pass
Picture settings: Anamorphic
Audio: Stereo, 48 KHz, 160 kbps

H264 Settings:
Reference Frames: 4
Mixed References: Yes
B-Frames: 6
Direct Prediction: Spatial
Weight B-Frames: Yes
B-Frame Rate Distortion: Yes
Bidirectional Refinement: Yes
Pyramidal B-Frames: No (Because I want to play in Quicktime)
Motion Estimation Method: UMH
Motion Estimation Range: 64
Subpixel Motion Estimation: 7
Analysis: All
8x8: Yes
Deblocking: -2 / -1
Trellis: 2
No Fast P Skip: Yes
No DCT Decimate: Off
Cabac Entropy Coding: Yes

Are my settings too high? I am in the Military and am going away where I can take my DVD collection, so I want all these as the highest quality files I can, while still maintaining great compression. Sometimes these settings work, sometimes handbrake errors out right at the very end of the 2nd pass encode where it is "Muxing". Do I need to lower my settings? Am I over doing this? Or AM I doing something else wrong?

Thanks all!
mrk

Re: Unexpectedly Quits only sometimes... Settings too High?

Post by mrk »

Hi,

I also get the same symptoms when I use Handbrake. However, I'm using the iPod hi-res preset (although I have bumped the width to 720 pixels as my iPod classic seems to support it.) The disappearing Handbrake appears after long film encodes, and short (22min) tv show episodes. It seems to be random and unrelated to how high the settings are. It also seems to be related to the 2-pass encoding as it seems to occur during the muxing phase.

I personally am waiting for a new version of Handbrake which allows the activity log to be saved out to a file so that I can submit some more detailed information about these unexpected failures.

In the meantime I'm trying to evaluate what I want as high quality, and what I can afford to do a single pass for.

Cheers,

Maurice
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

mrk wrote:I personally am waiting for a new version of Handbrake which allows the activity log to be saved out to a file so that I can submit some more detailed information about these unexpected failures.
Currently in our svn and will be in the next public release.
Nonsanity

Post by Nonsanity »

I've been meaning to delve into a similar issue, myself. I've had a few titles that would repeatedly fail in the CLI version, but when I set up almost the same conversion with the GUI client, they worked. The only difference that I could see was that I used the "slowest" deinterlace setting for the CLI, and just used "slow" for the GUI. I've been meaning to go back and try a less intense deinterlace on the CLI.

The failure took the form of a perpetual hang at the end, something that once was common but I've haven't seen otherwise for several public versions.

I'll mess with it tonight and see what the results are...
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

There's a known issue with all the intensive deinterlacing settings, Nonsanity.
mrk

Post by mrk »

dynaflash wrote:Currently in our svn and will be in the next public release.
Hi,

At the risk of being deemed as impatient, is there an ETA on the next version (e.g. 3 months, 6 months, year). The unexpected quits I experience frustrate me greatly and I'd like to be able to help provide whatever I can to diagnose the problem. Though I'm not about to go down the svn route just yet. :D

Many thanks,

Maurice
Sibine

Post by Sibine »

I've experienced this more so on our new Leopard machine but occassionally if the dvd encryption is particular high and the encode will take a long time.

I've found that using MTR to get the DVD onto the machine and then HB to make the movie usually solves it - just obviously takes 30mins or so longer in the overall process.