pixelation

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
kthomas1007

pixelation

Post by kthomas1007 »

Hello. I could really use some help here. I ripped a dvd of some old football games from 1960. The quality was not great to begin with, but after I ripped them, the images were noticably pixelated. My settings were...

codec: MPEG4V/ AAC Audio
framerate: same as source
encoder: FFmpeg
average bitrate: 1000

Thanks in advance.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

I'm guessing your source dvd, being old footage, probably has a lot of noise and/or film grain and/or dust and/or scratches?

Unfortunately, all of that plays havoc with the video encoders. They can't predict any of that stuff, so they can't use any shortcuts to save space.

That means the only solution is to keep raising the average bitrate until things start looking good.

I suggest going up to an average bitrate of 1250. If it still looks bad, then 1500. Hopefully, that'll be enough. Just keep in mind that as the bitrate goes up, so does the file size.

If you have the patience, consider turning 2-pass on. That takes twice as long, but will be more efficient with its bitrate usage (so it should have somewhat better picture quality).

If all of that doesn't work, try setting a high constant quality, like above 70%. That will probably take up more space, but is more likely to give you a less pixelated image.

Also, you might try using the XviD encoder instead of FFmpeg. It's slower, but a little higher quality imo. I would *not* suggest using x264 in this case.