Which File to choose on DVD to rip?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
shmerls

Which File to choose on DVD to rip?

Post by shmerls »

I hate being a newbie...

I am trying to rip my first DVD. It is a VHS conversion to DVD by a local printer. The original VHS is missing the left audio track. So.. I thought I'd rip the DVD, find a program to somehow copy the right audio track to the left side so I have the sound (mono of course) to both audio channels and then burn a new DVD.

Using HandBrake seems simple enough,but when I open my DVD there are a number of files and I don't instructions on which file(s) to open, especially since HandBrake only allows you to select one file at a time. They are:

VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_0.IFO

Am I missing a FAQ or manual. If so, I apologize for this post and ask someone point me to where I can learn what I may have missed. Thanks, Steven
Cavalicious

Re: Which File to choose on DVD to rip?

Post by Cavalicious »

shmerls

Post by shmerls »

Thank you very much. It's in progress now, now all I have to do is mix a Tropical drink :)
AmandaMoose

Post by AmandaMoose »

Ok, so I am also new to HB, and clearly I'm not as quick as shmerls....

I have been to this link as suggested: http://handbrake.fr/?article=documentation

But still do not see the answer to the question of how you know which file to choose. I'm trying to rip episodes of a TV show.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Don't chose a file, chose the root directory of the DVD and hit Open (or OK or whatever it says).

You'll then need to select the title for each episode on the disc (just trying to save time as we know what the next question will be).
Nonsanity

Post by Nonsanity »

You really don't need to care about what is inside the VIDEO_TS folder when using HandBrake. It will take care of all that and translate it into something easier for humans to understand, namely the Title list.

The DVD format doesn't provide much in the way of meta-data for each title, like name of the episode or anything. About the only info we have is the running length. For a DVD of TV episodes, that is probably all you need to pick out the ones that are all the same length (30 mins, 1 hour, etc).

If that isn't enough for you, remember you can step through a slideshow for each Title in the video settings window. It's not quite a full preview, but it should be more than enough for identification purposes for most DVDs.