Premiere Pro mac bug can truncate videos in HandBrake in older OS versions

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Zorg

Premiere Pro mac bug can truncate videos in HandBrake in older OS versions

Post by Zorg »

Came across this today and found a solution after I signed up, so figured I'd share.

The new patch for Premiere (15.4.1) drops support for macOS Mojave, something I didn't find out until today after contacting Adobe looking for a fix. If you still use Mojave and render a video out of Premiere, it will render with an incorrect frame rate. It exported my 4k 16-bit QuickTime at 23.422 fps instead of 24.

When adding the corrupted video to Handbrake, it shows the FPS as 23.4225. If you check the video with exiftool, it shows 24. If you check with QuickTime player, it shows 23.422.

HandBrake does detect the correct duration of the video and number of frames, however when encoding, the video will be truncated (mine lost ~1 minute 30 seconds). Stripping the exif data before bringing into Handbrake didn't matter either.

In the HandBrake log there are no errors. Last version and latest version of HandBrake were affected the same. Not sure what Premiere Pro is doing, but it must be corrupting part of the file besides messing up the frame rate.

If you still use macOS Mojave, to fix this bug, just roll back to Premiere Pro 15.4. Videos will render normally again and all will be well.

Anyway, just felt like sharing in case anyone comes across this problem. It's not a Handbrake bug. It's an incompatibility between OS and Premiere and Premiere is messing up the exported QuickTime movie.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Premiere Pro mac bug can truncate videos in HandBrake in older OS versions

Post by mduell »

Post the encoding log so we can see what you set/HB thought/HB did.