burn-in subtitles to the top

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rastarr

burn-in subtitles to the top

Post by rastarr »

Description of problem or question:

Am I able to burn-in subtitles to the top instead of the usual bottom of the video?
My wife is Thai so Thai subtitles are often used for her.
But when a movie has some foreign language, I need to burn-in English.

Burning in to the Top would make things a lot easier to read, due to overlaying both

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: burn-in subtitles to the top

Post by Woodstock »

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Positioning of the subtitles depends on what the subtitle indicates its position to be. And we have zero information about that.

Image-type subtitles, such as those provided on DVDs and Blurays, the position is set by the disk author. SSA/ASS subtitles have position information embedded in them, so you could edit them to modify their placement with a subtitle editor. SRT subtitles are rather free-form (no real standard), so converting them to SSA, THEN editing their position, would be the only sure method.