M1 no valid source found

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Chezhed94598
New User

M1 no valid source found

Post by Chezhed94598 »

Have been cutting over my old DVD collection and all was working well until I updated to 1.4.1 yesterday. Now disk returns "no valid source found"

Tried starting uninstalling and reinstalling both VLC and HB but nothing. Even tried generating a new libdvdcss but Apple has really started to us out of the sys files.

Am I missing something stupidly obvious?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: M1 no valid source found

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Using handbrake to rip copy-protected disks is not supported. You've just found out why use of libdvdcss was deprecated over a dozen years ago - the connection is fragile, at best, even if you understand how it works.

Use of actual ripping tools, like MakeMKV, is the recommended way to go.
Richg36

Post by Richg36 »

I've just hit exactly the same issue as the original poster: backing up old DVDs to a digital library, tried the update, rolled back to version 1.3.3 and get this message even when scanning DVDs that worked last week. I tried uninstalling and deleting any and all program folders and registry keys before reinstalling but no joy.

I get the feeling that this is likely to be an unresolvable issue then? For info, my activity log from when I got the error is at the link below:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/323a71 ... 432/b40730
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

It hasn't been supported for more than a decade, so it's not going to be resolved by the HB team. The best practice, above, is recommended.
Richg36

Post by Richg36 »

I get that; I just wondered why it had been working up until a couple of days ago and what part of the update / reinstall process upset it. I'm curious as to why functionality would just stop working.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

In order to handle DVD encryption, you need to install a third-party library. In the ancient past, all you needed to do was install VLC on the same machine to make it work.

But, as security settings evolved, WHERE that library was, and what permissions it had, became more and more critical. Simply installing an OS update could (and often does) break the chain, without any changes to handbrake.

Not to mention, copy protection became more than just region coding and CSS encryption, so the 3PL didn't work on more and more disks.

Bluray came along, and you needed to add a different library and feed it encryption keys found elsewhere on internet. Add in BD+ that required Java to interpret to remove fake errors from the video stream.