performance of M1 with 16GB of RAM vs 8GB

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
whippet0

performance of M1 with 16GB of RAM vs 8GB

Post by whippet0 »

Description of problem or question:

Will I see an improvement in performance in an M1 MacBook Air with 16 GB of RAM vs 8GB of RAM? I am using the Handbrake encoders "H264 (VideoToolbox)" and "H.264 (x264)"

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: performance of M1 with 16GB of RAM vs 8GB

Post by mduell »

It won't matter, unless you're running a lot of other stuff.
whippet0

Post by whippet0 »

mduell wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:45 am It won't matter, unless you're running a lot of other stuff.
So I guess Handbrake does not require much RAM?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Not particularly. You can do a 4K encode with 2 to 6GB of free memory depending on settings.
8K is a non-starter on an 8GB machine though. That said, the CPU in that machine is probably a bit too weak for 8K anyway.

Given the RAM is not upgradable and the SSD is not replaceable in that machine, I'd tend to lean having excess RAM to avoid any risk of paging. extreme paging can kill an SSD pretty quickly.