vertical artifacts created when encoding 4k movie

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Bubbabob

vertical artifacts created when encoding 4k movie

Post by Bubbabob »

Description of problem or question:

I want to burn subtitles into a 4k movie, but the image quality is adversely affected with the creation of vertical artifacts throughout most of the picture. If I convert to 1080p the problem goes away, but I'd prefer keeping the 4k resolution. Regardless of the encoding speed, rf value, and the choice to use constant framerate or variable framerate, the result is the same every time. I didn't use any filters because after googling what each of them does, none of them seem to apply to my specific problem.

Artifacts aren't visible at normal viewing distance, but are extremely obvious with magnification.

I would upload before and after images, but that doesn't appear to be an option here.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

1)choose h.265 mkv 216060 preset
2)change frame rate to same as source
3)choose h-265 10-bit (did not try other encode options)
4)pick RF 20 (changing (rf value makes no difference)
5)encode speed slow (changing encode speed makes no difference)
6)variable frame rate (choosing constant frame rate makes no difference)
7)no filters selected, but I kept the defaults
8)went with preset: strong-intra-smoothing=0:rect=0:aq-mode=1 (did not try eliminating this)
9)I encoded 1% of the movie to test the result of a specific frame. I did not encode the entire movie as that would take ~36 hours

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Version 1.3.3 (2020061300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/9J9MBu8L
Deleted User 11865

Re: vertical artifacts created when encoding 4k movie

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Can you provide a screenshot of the artifacts you're seeing? External file hosts won't work, but you can post a link to the screenshot or use the built-in attachment feature of the forum itself.
Bubbabob

Post by Bubbabob »

Rodeo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:23 pm Can you provide a screenshot of the artifacts you're seeing? External file hosts won't work, but you can post a link to the screenshot or use the built-in attachment feature of the forum itself.
I want to do that, but I can't find that feature in any of the places in an online forum I'd expect to find it. There's no "attachment" button above and the picture icon only allows an external site option. Do I just drag and drop into the draft window itself?
Bubbabob

Post by Bubbabob »

Rodeo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:23 pm Can you provide a screenshot of the artifacts you're seeing? External file hosts won't work, but you can post a link to the screenshot or use the built-in attachment feature of the forum itself.
Alright, I think this might work.

Before:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mhd5omewyb4r ... 3.jpg?dl=0

After:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0us2up5npobg ... 3.jpg?dl=0
Deleted User 11865

I just realized your source looks like it's possibly HDR? That's a possible cause for the issue, as HandBrake 1.3.x has no support for HDR. The nightly builds have basic support for some forms of HDR and might work better in that regard.

Your log also shows you have the Comb Detect and Decomb filters enabled, and you're burning the Italian subtitle track into the video. If HDR is not the issue, disabling Combing Detection, Decomb and subtitle burn-in might help.
Bubbabob

Post by Bubbabob »

Rodeo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:00 pm I just realized your source looks like it's possibly HDR? That's a possible cause for the issue, as HandBrake 1.3.x has no support for HDR. The nightly builds have basic support for some forms of HDR and might work better in that regard.

Your log also shows you have the Comb Detect and Decomb filters enabled, and you're burning the Italian subtitle track into the video. If HDR is not the issue, disabling Combing Detection, Decomb and subtitle burn-in might help.
That was it. It was the decombing. So here's a question: if I turn off the interlace detection (which adds about 14 hours to the encoding) and the deinterlacing, what am I risking, exactly?
Deleted User 11865

With a 4K source, pretty much nothing.