Handbrake Missing out title.

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Southpaw1496

Handbrake Missing out title.

Post by Southpaw1496 »

Description of problem or question:

I've been ripping all my old movies to put them on a media server (as one does) but on one of my disks (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel), Handbrake fails to find the main movie title (instead saying "No Valid Source Found" as all other titles are too short to be considered. I thought the disk might be damaged but I played it through Apple's built-in DVD Player app and it worked perfectly. Does anyone have any solutions?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Version 1.4.0-beta.1 (2020111100)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

macOS Big Sur 11.4 (20F71)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://pastebin.com/ecNZrhJ5
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake Missing out title.

Post by Woodstock »

Your third-party library for removing CSS encryption seems to have been doing alright until it hit:

Code: Select all

error: dvd: dvdnav_sector_search failed - 
Using an actual ripping program, rather than trying to force handbrake into that role (something not supported for over a decade) may give you better error reports. I use MakeMKV.
Southpaw1496

Post by Southpaw1496 »

I have tried MakeMKV but it seemed much slower and more complex than HandBrake and it outputted MKVs which you still have to transcode to MP4 anyway. A lot of people say that HandBrake is not suited to the task of ripping DVDs, but I’m not sure why this is because that’s what most people seem to use it for, and it seems to be one of very few tools that can do it. MakeMKV seems to have a weird proprietary thing going on anyway
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The handbrake developers deprecated the use of 3rd-party decryption libraries because it was more of a support problem than helpful. Simple things like updating your operating system could break the integration, as permissions changed.

Those who wish to use them are free to do so, but they're on their own when the mash-up fails to work. There are also ways to use MakeMKV as the 3PL, but that is also subject to integration problems that are beyond the scope of the handbrake project.

Having used MakeMKV for a LONG time (since 2009), I have never encountered an instance when MakeMKV was slower than handbrake, if more than one file was involved. Because MakeMKV does no video encoding, it can rip as fast as the drive will allow, and it does not use enough processor resources to interfere with handbrake simultaneously encoding what it has already read.

The most likely cause of this is ultimately a disk problem. The MakeMKV forum has a topic dedicated to that sort of thing, If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!. The hints in there apply to any program ripping optical disks, including handbrake with a 3PL.