A newbe

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
chile1

A newbe

Post by chile1 »

Description of problem or question:

I have taken some video with a GoPro 9 Hero with an anamorphic lens (Skyreat). I heard on the internet that I have to desqueeze the footage before using it on something like YouTube. I saw in an older "How to ... video that anamorphic setting had a "strict " setting but the Handbrake I have now (1.3.3) doesn't have that setting in the drop down menu. Is the "auto" setting in the anamorphic drop down menu basically the same?
Thanks, John

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.3.3):

Version 1.3.3

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
MacBook Pro, Big Sur 11.4

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: A newbe

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Strict anamorphic would preserve the original video pixel aspect ratio. HandBrake no longer has any equivalent. Auto anamorphic will pick the pixel aspect that preserves the best resolution given the current dimensions settings. If there are no resolution changes, it just happens that the original pixel aspect will be preserved.

If your video is anamorphic and the pixel aspect is not signalled correctly in the video stream, it will look stretched or squeezed when played back. In this case, you would have to use Custom anamorphic to manually set the correct aspect.

If the pixel aspect is correctly signalled in the video stream, there's nothing you really need to do. Players will read the pixel aspect and automatically stretch the video the make it look right.
chile1

Re: A newbe

Post by chile1 »

Thank you, that gives me a starting point.