How to save audio settings so I don't have to select it every time?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Ramroumtx
Enlightened

How to save audio settings so I don't have to select it every time?

Post by Ramroumtx »

Ever since I upgraded to to the new handbrake I have to select the audio every time. It never used to do that before. Is there a way to save it in presets? I tried that and it didn't work. I also tried to do the selection behavior but maybe I don't know how to do it properly if anyone can guide me step by step so I don't have to select the audio every single time. I forget to select it and I have to redo it again.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Macbook 11.2.3

I don't have an activity log because its not related to that issue. I just want to find a way to save audio settings.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: How to save audio settings so I don't have to select it every time?

Post by Woodstock »

Presets can save audio selection behavior. You set it on the "Defaults" page on the Audio (and Subtitle) tabs, then save the preset.

Presets do not store specific audio or subtitle actions; they set rules for which will be selected automatically.

If you intend to use that preset for batch loading, you then have to make it your current (or default) preset before importing the batch.
Last edited by Woodstock on Tue May 11, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MickM
Novice

Post by MickM »

I just came here to post the same issue and then found this thread. I have successfully compressed many regular English TV series episodes that I ripped from my dvd collection using HandbrakeCLI and a script I wrote that simply uses a preset I made in the Handbrake application. This saves me from having to navigate the mammoth spectrum of options in the HandbrakeCLI app. The Handbrake App itself can't do batch processing (which just kills me) for all of my ripped collection (in AUDIO_TS/VIDEO_TS format). I figured I'd simply modify my preset in the Handbrake app to select a specific subtitle track, save that and then use it in my batch script - but I see from reading this thread that presets don't go down to the level of granularity of specific subtitle tracks. So am I stuck with the painful method of doing all these episodes one by one in the Handbrake app?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The GUI is angry spaghetti people who can't use the CLI; the CLI is a far superior interface.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Well, by now, with all the new ObjC features implemented by Ritsuka, the Mac UI is more like penne rigate IMHO :-)
MickM
Novice

Post by MickM »

It took me a whole frustrating weekend to write a "simple" script that called HandbrakeCLI with only 3 arguments - the input directory, the output directory and the name of the preset. The script only operates on files in the input directory - it can't handle any hierarchy. It was awful (for me) involving cryptic commands and syntax and characters in the directory names that the script didn't like. It was a huge effort for me and anybody who says I completely suck at scripting would be 100% correct! It looks like I found a hole where limitations in the preset capability have stopped me. I could possibly tackle modifying a suitable HandbrakeCLI command line, but the GUI won't even make that available for it's current configuration. Sigh. I'd like to make the observation that Handbrake GUI represents an enormous amount of work that went into the coding of what it does, but it strikes me as only a comparatively incremental amount of work to nicely turn it into something that can accept a directory hierarchy and complete the job of making it a full one-stop-shopping experience. Bear in mind that this observation is coming from somebody making a comment about programming who has no idea of what he's talking about :-). I guess it's just a wish.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Actually the Mac UI has been completely rewritten over the years, the code it's not too bad, could be better? Yup.
Better subtitles and audio selection it's something that would be nice to have, but you know how it goes with open source, time and will is not always available.
MickM
Novice

Post by MickM »

I understand. On the bright side, given how Rodeo was bragging about your contributions, I'm at least thankful my posts got your attention ;-).

For now, I'll just do all the compressions that require a specific subtitle track one by one using the GUI given that I don't have a corresponding HandbrakeCLI command line for the preset I've been using. I'm guessing it'll take me about 3 weeks to finish those (I have 20TB worth of VIDEO_TS compressions to tackle).
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

You can call GUI presets from the CLI.
MickM
Novice

Post by MickM »

Yes - but the issue is that the GUI presets can't make any specific changes to the audio and subtitle settings (see the 2nd post in this thread). Anyway, I believe I understand the state of things at this point i.e. I've hit a known limitation in the functionality of the GUI.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

MickM wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:48 pm given that I don't have a corresponding HandbrakeCLI command line for the preset I've been using.
I was replying to this. You don’t need to know the CLI arguments, just call the preset.
MickM
Novice

Post by MickM »

In the 4th post in this thread I say I'm already doing exactly that. However, I need to tweak the preset to accommodate a different subtitle settings, but (annoyingly) the preset is incapable storing any audio/subtitle changes so that option isn't open to me. I was wishing that if the GUI could at least output the CLI command line for it's current configuration then I could take a stab at editing the command line to accept the subtitle changes I want. Alas, that's not possible, and so I'm stuck.
NickSteel

Post by NickSteel »

Yeah, same need here. I would like a preset option to always use the first audio track. Keep forgetting and having to rerun. :D
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You can select "first track matching selected languages" but not audio tracks by index. Same for subtitles.